memory94

Strawberrys Getting a Rotten Squashed Shape

so I'm a noob with gardening tomatoes, chili's, and herbs.

But my strawberry patches has been producing these strawberry that turn from green to red (not sure whats it called).
Then it gets from a good looking shape to getting rotten,squashed, dried looking shape.

IVE USED A BUG SPRAY BEFORE FROM HOME DEPOT CALLED NATRIA, IT DIDNT WORK BUT DAMAGED MY PLANTS D: DID I SPRAY IT WRONG? IT WAS MY FIRST TIME USING ANY PEST CONTROL.

I got them plants at home depot. I bought two ready looking sprouts and I think it came with a female and male replica. Then they offered me a insect, disease and mite control spray called NATRIA (bayer Advnaced).Ive used the Natria on one of my plants,then the next day it damaged the leaves. leaving brown,yellow,burning looking leaves. it was hell for them. But now I don't know any use to control diseases or pest controls.

I HAVE MY PLANTS ON BIG CONTAINERS

I need some advice :d

Here are some pictures
20130715_171338.jpg
20130715_171338.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 762 times
20130715_171316.jpg
20130715_171316.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 762 times
So how can I prevent my strawberryget that squash look?

also my chili's and tomatoes COLOR are green and not changing?

I'm looking forward to read what I need to know about flowering and stuff but I don't know were to start. 8) IVE NEVER USED FLOWERING,PEST,VEGTATION MATERIALS related SPRAYS.

hope someone else replys :) I like to learn new things. and thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's helpful if we know where you live.

Could it be sun scald or Thrip?

DAMAGE
Thrips feeding on strawberry blossoms causes the stigmas and anthers to turn brown and wither prematurely, but not before fertilization has occurred. Although often numerous on berries when cat-facing occurs, western flower thrips do not cause cat-facing, which is a result of lygus bug feeding and possibly other factors. As fruit develops, thrips feeding may cause a russeting (Type I bronzing) of the fruit around the cap, but this injury is seldom economic. (Other types of bronzing are associated with phytotoxicity from sulfur and other types of sprays (Type II) and from plant physiological factors (Type III). The most severe bronzing that covers the entire fruit is believed to have a physiological cause that is associated with hot temperatures occurring from May through July.)

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdet ... stnum=2942

Eric

JONA878
Greener Thumb

One other pest that will 'graze' over the fruit making the seeds protrude that way is Red Spider...but I would guess that they would also cause a very noticeable amount of leaf peppering too.
They sure look as if they have been lightly chewed over though by something very small.

memory94

JONA878 wrote:One other pest that will 'graze' over the fruit making the seeds protrude that way is Red Spider...but I would guess that they would also cause a very noticeable amount of leaf peppering too.
They sure look as if they have been lightly chewed over though by something very small.
planting in southern California
and well ill check on those

update:
so my strawberry inst producing any blossom or fruits. They are in danger of frost bites.I'm not sure what to do.

ive read that carp will fix the problem but I don't have any though.

Return to “All Other Fruit”