Bird1961

watermelon climbing through my fence

Will this watermelon stay on or should I cut the fence?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi, Can't see how high it is off the ground but you can support it with a cloth hammock tied to the fence or even a little stool. If that's a variety that the mature melon is that size it should be fine as it is. A tee shirt hammock is easy to make.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I agree, make a hammock so that if it grows to big for the hole it can be supported outside of the gap.

applestar
Mod

Yep a hammock. As the fruit grows, the weight will drag down the vine and kink it on the chicken wire fence, so support it with to take the weight off the vine. I like using something that dries easily like nylon stocking, tights, onion/lemon net bag... And sturdy haystring. If animals -- squirrels, chipmunks, larger -- may munch on the melon, you may want to make a chicken wire or hardware cloth cage hammock.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

We were at our lower place and found the watermelon had grown through the fence there also. We have a protected area with an electric charger to keep out the rabbits. There are two melons, small thumb size, on the vine so we ran a hot wire around it rather than cut it off where it exited the garden.

Return to “All Other Fruit”