dchild1950
Newly Registered

Blackberry stem-cutting propogation

I have attempted planting blackberry stem cutting propogations and have had no success. Following all the suggestions from online, I still cannot have a successful new plant from stem cuttings.

I am using "Triple Crown" variety plant stems (also tried Quachita & Apache vines). Cutting them about 4" to 6" long with two buds on each cutting. Using this year's new stems about the size of a pencil. Bury one bud about 2" deep leaving the other bud above ground. I've used rooting hormone powder on some and nothing on others. Planting them in a mixture of sand/peat. Placed some in the house with a constant 77-deg temp, left others outside in the shade of the adult vines. After about 1-week the stem begins to turn brown at the bottom just at the level of sand/peat and slowly this brown creeps up the stem until the cutting dies.

What am I doing wrong? Please give me some helpful advice.

David from Missouri........

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I recommend you use some bottom heat and maybe a humidity dome. A plastic bag or mason jar over the top. I would think that cool air and warm soil is the ideal setup.

Most blackberries sucker freely. I just sever off and move.

Eric

dchild1950
Newly Registered

Thanks Eric,

I'll give the dome a try. Thought about that but never followed through. I also take the suckers when available but I truly want the stem cuttings to be successful.

I'm still interested in anyone else's opinion on blackberry stem cuttings.
Please respond..........

David

Return to “All Other Fruit”