CitrusPlanter
Newly Registered

What is wrong with my fertilized Meyer Lemon Tree?

I purchased a 1-2 year old Improved Meyer Lemon Tree off of Amazon in November and it grew well. The tree bloomed around mid-May or early June and I pollinated it with no problems. When I noticed 5 of the 6 blooms had become fertilized I was very happy and ready to start taking care of the newly fertilized plant. As time went on, 3 of the 5 fertilized parts fell off leaving only two lemons growing after all that work to fertilize the plant. No matter where I searched, I could not find if this is normal or if I need to be concerned. The two fertilized buds that survived are still growing healthy.

Also, there are three branches on my tree and the 6 flowers all bloomed on only one of branches. With none of the other branches getting flowers at all. Is this normal too? And how often can I expect new branches to grow off of the trunk or the branches already available?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a baby! :) It will flower and fruit more in coming years as it gets older and bigger. A small tree like that does not have the energy/ resources to produce/ support very much fruit.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Where are you? Meyer lemons grow in the S.F. Bay Area in many back yards. The fruit is picked in March, April, and sometimes as late as May and June. It could be that the plant was out of season.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

CitrusPlanter
Newly Registered

I'm in New Hampshire. I keep it inside by a window that gets plenty of sun and I make sure it has the right amount of water and anything else it needs

applestar
Mod

Do you have somewhere outside you can put your plant? Citrus REALLY benefit from summer spent outside in at least half day sun, though full sun IME is dificult to manage. The shoots/branches that grow during the season will be sturdier and healthier.

Be sure to acclimate it to the direct sunlight gradually if you decide to put it outside. The leaves will sunburn until they toughen up.

For me, another benefit is that plants that were losing their fight to scale insects and spidermites in the late winter/early spring indoor conditions despite all my efforts turn around and come back strong thanks to all the predators taking care of them. My meyer lemon lost all it's leaves but is now lush with new healthy growth. No fruits though, not surprisingly. Hopefully next year.

applestar
Mod

If this is a grafted plant, make sure the non- flowering branches are not growing from below the graft -- from the rootstock -- and that they don't have leaves that are different from the flowering one.

If the rootstock has grown suckers, they are often more vigorous than the scion/desirable grafted plant and will steall energy and nutrients.

If they are not suckers, the other branches could simply be older and not as mature -- that sounds confusing but fruit trees don't bloom/fruit until the tree is old enough to grow fruiting buds/branches. So the newest branch could be the only one able to fruit.

CitrusPlanter
Newly Registered

Thank you, I can try to acclimate it to direct sunlight for the summer. I think I have the perfect spot for it. When I do put it outside, I don't have to put in in the ground and then re-pot it after the summer do I? That might be a bit of an issue.

There are no branches or shoots growing below the graft which I read as a good thing. The branch that has fruit growing on it is the newest of the three total branches on the tree. Most of the branches have the same small regular lemon tree leaves that I've seen in tons of pictures. There are some leaves on one of the branches that are giant and I'm not sure how they got that big. I can try and post some pictures of my tree later.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, bring it out pot and all and leave it in the pot. It would be very disruptive to the plant to be re-potted all the time and especially to grow in the ground for awhile, then have all those roots ripped out and crammed in a pot.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Agree with previous advice: definitely get this young tree into the light. Otherwise, it's seasons will be perpetually confused. Bright sunlight outdoors is nothing like filtered sunlight through a window indoors. Get it used to the sun and keep it outdoors as long as you can.

Cynthia

Return to “All Other Fruit”