matron820
Newly Registered

Fig tree fruit not ripening

I have a fig tree in my front yard, its quite big and seems to grow a lot of figs, problem is they stay hard, small and green and never seem to ripen. Its the only fig tree I have on the property and I'm not sure what type of tree it is since I did not plant it, it was there when I moved in. Just wondering if theres something I can do to help them ripen or if they just never will because of the type of fig. Heres some pics, thanks!

imafan26
Mod

Do the figs every get soft. There are white figs that get soft but stay a green color even when ripe. If the figs are any good the birds will get them as soon as they are ready. Figs cannot be picked until they are ripe, they will not ripen off the tree.

If the birds are not going after them, then I'd get rid of the tree and plant a variety that tastes better like Black Mission or Brown Turkey (who comes up with these names?!). A fresh fig is wonderful, it does not taste anything like a fig newton.

I have a Brown Turkey and I have to beat the two legged bandits to them. The birds are bad enough but people (the other two legged bandits) are close behind.

matron820
Newly Registered

How soft is soft? Some of them have a little give but nothing thats really like squishy. When I have put some pressure on some of them they ooze this white sticky substance. Ill have to check and see if any are getting soft. Thanks for the reply!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

matron820 wrote:How soft is soft? Some of them have a little give but nothing thats really like squishy. When I have put some pressure on some of them they ooze this white sticky substance. Ill have to check and see if any are getting soft. Thanks for the reply!

I live in New Orleans and, like you, bought my house with the fig tree already mature. I too do not know what variety it is, but I do know the figs I now have on the tree are similar in size and color to yours, but I also know in a couple weeks they will ripen and I'll once again have a nice crop of figs to put up, eat and give away.

If they are oozing white when you squeeze them, they are not close to being ripe. Like Imafan said, when they are ripening you have to get out early to pick before the critters------------or neighbors get to them. My main issue is with wild parrots, racoons, and every other species of bird living in this area. If your tree isn't being invaded by birds to pick the figs, then they aren't producing good fruit.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="imafan26"
I have a Brown Turkey and I have to beat the two legged bandits to them. The birds are bad enough but people (the other two legged bandits) are close behind.[/quote]

Sounds like you need to hang a sign on your property that I've seen folks use around here to get the "No Trespassing" meaning across in plain language. Get one that reads, "Trespassers Will Be Violated" and that should do the trick.

Return to “All Other Fruit”