OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Avocado Tree Type A & Type B

What is the Differance what Should I Buy ? Lowes has Both for about 25 each, I Just want to make sure I don't get one That Doesnt Produce Fruit. Can Someone Explain ? I checked online but don't really Understand

applestar
Mod

Type A and type B refers to when the flowers release pollen and are receptive to pollen since the flowers on the same tree are not on the same schedule. You need both types so that they pollinate each other for best results.

You'll want to research the variety/cultivars of the two types to see if there are specific recommendations for better fruit production. (they need to bloom around the same time obviously) Do you know what they are selling? Other traits to look for are how big they get and when the fruits mature for harvesting. Best flavor, etc.

Here's one ref. I always seem to end up at this one. Look under flowers for A and B explanation. Some cultivars are listed here as well:
:arrow: https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Hey, this looks good. I'm going back to it and browse for a while :wink:
:arrow: https://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadovarieties/VarietyFrame.html

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Great info from Applestar. The only thing I'll add is to be aware that these trees can get quite big, so be careful where you plant them. Before my wife and I were married, her former neighbor had two of them planted near his property line and these trees were probably close to 30 ft. tall with a very large canopy. They produced tons of avocados every year and she had permission to pick all she wanted from the branches on her side of the fence.

She married me and moved away, then Hurricane Katrina flooded the area and killed the trees---life can be so cruel sometimes. :lol: :lol:

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Thanks for the Info Guys and Hhhmm Now I'm Gana Look about the Size too Sense I'm In an Appartment and Will be putting them in Large Containers and Just Prune them alot to Keep them to a Good Size

Return to “All Other Fruit”