noobgardener

Confession: I used insecticide around fruit trees

I know I know, I'm horrible. Last year my husband and I had huge problems with the ants in and around our house. So my husband bought 2 granular insecticides (andro and terro) and we applied the to our lawn and perimeter.
We have 4 fruit trees in my back yar and these insecticides were applied last summer. I'm not applying it again (never fear!) but was wondering if it was safe one at the fruit from these trees or if I've ruined them forever.
Both products were granular and I have found little information in my research.

If appreciate the help!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Noobgardener
As far as I can find out the main active ingredient in Terro is Deltamethrin.( a pyrethroid insecticide)...as this product is aimed at the same target as Andro I think it likely that they are using a similar chemical to deal with mainly an ant problem.
It is used though in other products on a whole range of crops.
So....it should be ok for your trees as although it has some systemic action, even on crops as delicate as cereals, there is only a four day harvest interval.
However it is damaging to fish and water creatures so avoid use near ditches, ponds etc. so be careful in its distribution.

Also keep pets away until all signs of granuels have disappeared.

noobgardener

The main ingredient in the terro I used is lambda cihalotrin

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't worry about it. Be as careful as your can, and always take a minimalist approach to using such chemicals. But the pesticide residue in potatoes, apples, celery, apple juice, etc. is likely to be far worse than any residual that makes it into the fruit from your fruit trees. We don't use pesticides on our vegetable crops. We rarely use anything on our fruit trees. We buy organic when available and practical. All the rest, we don't worry about. Our diet is far healthier than for those who buy indiscriminately. To me it gets a bit over the top paranoid, to worry about every little thing in the diet. So just be assured that you are doing the best you can, and the risk of any insecticide residuals is very minimal. By being concerned and by doing your best, you are probably in the top 10 percent of families who really pay attention to their food quality.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

noobgardener wrote:The main ingredient in the terro I used is lambda cihalotrin

That too is just another Pyrythroid ....again very low harvest interval. So don't worry.

Return to “All Other Fruit”