applestar
Mod

2013 Fruit Development Watch

So, what kind of fruits is everyone growing? Any in particular that you are eagerly watching and waiting to harvest?

This year, I'm particularly interested in seeing if the persimmon will bear any fruit:

And tasting the first year to fruit pears:
(have to go find the photo)

Cola82
Green Thumb

My favorite threads are the ones filled with photos. 8)

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Those are pretty flowers....they look like cake decorations!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

We finished off the strawberry crop and just this week started getting lots of blueberries. We had a small crop of mulberries on our very young tree and those fruit continue to trickle off. We made a nice crop of a few dozen plums on my three year old potted plum tree. Lots of figs are setting. Pear trees decided to only bear a token crop this year, but they won't be ready until late summer or early fall. Apple trees are too young to bear a real crop but we do have a handful of apples that are developing. Third year quince set just a few fruit. Time will tell whether they make it to maturity or not. I destroyed most of our raspberry beds last year, so will only get a small crop this year. We plan on replanting fresh beds for next year.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I am actively harvesting blueberries but my season is starting to wind down. I have a quite a few everbearing strawberries that produced 1 or 2 fruits right after they will planted but I don't know if they will produce more this year or not. At this current time there are not even flowers. I am waiting for a very small crop of peaches to ripen and I will also have a good sized crop of grapes.

imafan26
Mod

I'm still getting figs. The persimmons are done for the year here, but there are still mango, guava, papaya, breadfruit, Mexican elderberry, achuete (seeds), figs, lychee, banana, chayote, tomatoes are technically a berry although legally a vegetable, lemon, calamondin, buddhas hand, and a few avocados are ripening. Some of the cacao beans are ready to drop, coffee berries are getting red.

dogdayz21

I'm anxiously waiting for my blueberries to ripen. However, I feel like they should have by now. I have netting over the garden and have tons of berries but none ripe yet! I don't think anything is getting in there. Is something wrong? I have4 varieties...climax, premier, tifblue, and brightwell. 6 bushes total.

applestar
Mod

Be sure to keep watering them well. It depends on the variety too.
My first ones are starting to blush... And I STILL don't have netting over them! Today for sure if I can get it done before the storm arrives.... :bouncey:

dogdayz21

Ok. We have had lots of rain here. Ill keep watching. My blackberries are ripening now too. I only have 2 bushes but they really took off this year!!! Ill try to take a pic and post. :D

applestar
Mod

Did someone say tomatoes are technically fruits?

Here's one that I'm particularly waiting to see what the fruits are going to be like:

"Faelan's First Snow" (Variegated Cherokee Purple)
This one's showing the best variegation out of four plants:
(sorry about the background -- I had to find a patch of grass with no white clover blossoms :P)

Variegation in the stem:

Soooo cooool !! I'm thinking of planting this in an extra large raised planter with a variegated "Fish" hot pepper and maybe my 2nd Indigo Apple tomato plant for contrast.... Or maybe get a variegated sage and pineapple mint to go with them.....

Springfever

Strawberries blueberries raspberries rhubarb 1 gold rush apple tree and 1 Concord grape. So far all new plants this year. Yield 8 tiny strawberries we couldn't help but let grow. About a hundred blossoms thrown sadly to the ground but with complete understanding that next year we will see the fruits of our labor. Blackberries are going crazyyyyyyy. I love food.

applestar
Mod

Some of the Prok persimmons set fruit :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”