kbrabble
Newly Registered

Questions about Mulberry Trees

I just got several mulberry trees. They were grown at a local nursery in pots, are between six and seven feet tall, and the trunks are very skinny. Otherwise, they appear in good health, and are not root-bound. My question is in regards to planting them. The trunks are very long and flimsy. Should I just plant them as is, should they be staked to keep them from bending, or should they be cut back and allowed to regrow? I have never planted trees this skinny/tall and want them to do good. Any advice would be appreciated. By the way, one type is labelled as ever bearing, and the other as black mulberry.

Thanks,
Kevin

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I planted an Illinois everbearing mulberry tree about four years ago. The tree was fairly spindly so we did drive a support into the ground and attached the tree to it. As far as pruning, it is always o.k. to prune up to about 1/3 of the top growth. This will help the root growth catch up plus will encourage the young tree to spread.

Be careful where you plant a mulberry tree as the birds will eat the fruit and will release a downpour of purple waste bombs that will cause problems if they are dropped on structures or vehicles.

kbrabble
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice, and the warning! These are being planted on several local birding trails because they are such bird magnets. I think I will cut some of the tops off to avoid having to use any kind of support.

Return to “All Other Fruit”