liltr33
Newly Registered

Pear Tree --- Fireblight?

2013-05-13 17.46.15.jpg
Hey all,

Let me preface this post by saying that I live in the NYC area.

The D'Anjou dwarf pear tree that I got 3 weeks ago was planted last week. For the two weeks it sat in my backyard, it was just hanging out in the pot it came in. The tree was green and vibrant and has a good number of flowers. Over the course of the two weeks, I've periodically watered it giving it a good amount of sun. During that time, the leaves began to turn a duller green with two parallel orange lines extending from base to tip. Petals also fell off and the fruit has been growing. Noticing that the leaves began to change... I immediately planted it in the ground with the recommend compost + mulch layered on top. The tree has been stable since then. The vibrant green hasn't come back. The leaves continue to appear more droopy than when I first got it. The fruits are still growing and look fine. However, some leaves have become black. Any ideas what this could be? I'm worried it's fireblight, but I'm no expert. I've attached pictures. Please help!

Thanks!

liltr33
Newly Registered

2013-05-13 17.45.59.jpg
2013-05-01 19.18.05.jpg
Tried adding more pics w/ link from dropbox, but it wasn't working. I'm not sure if it's a limitation due to my new account, but I added two more. Thanks!
Attachments
2013-05-13 17.46.09.jpg

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Fire blight usually hits the tip growth. The more vigorously the new growth, the more susceptible it is to fire blight. The affected growth dries, turns black, and looks almost as if it has been burned. I guess that appearance is the origin of the name. I've already gotten fire blight on one of my container grown apples. The condition comes on quickly, and there is no gradual decline of the affect leaves and stem. First wilt, then drying, then both leaves and outer portion of the limb turn dark brown to black. If it is fire blight, cut the affected part off as soon as the condition is confirmed. We have such a problem with fire blight here in the midlands, that I won't even attempt to European pears. Crunchy American pears resist the disease and we have good luck with those trees.

liltr33
Newly Registered

hendi_alex wrote:Fire blight usually hits the tip growth. The more vigorously the new growth, the more susceptible it is to fire blight. The affected growth dries, turns black, and looks almost as if it has been burned. I guess that appearance is the origin of the name. I've already gotten fire blight on one of my container grown apples. The condition comes on quickly, and there is no gradual decline of the affect leaves and stem. First wilt, then drying, then both leaves and outer portion of the limb turn dark brown to black. If it is fire blight, cut the affected part off as soon as the condition is confirmed. We have such a problem with fire blight here in the midlands, that I won't even attempt to European pears. Crunchy American pears resist the disease and we have good luck with those trees.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely keep an eye on it. But seeing the leaves turn from green to black is a bit disconcerting. Hopefully it's not fire blight. Thanks again!

RomanZhekov
Newly Registered

Any ideas why these pear leaves are yellow? It is nutrients deficiency or some kind of fungus?
Attachments
897AE8A6-19AF-49D8-88CD-4BC15D86B433.jpeg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi, as has been said..I don’t think that is Fire Blight. Our European pears are very susceptible to the disease and your tree looks clear. Especially at the shoot tips....the first place to be affected.
Pears do shed leaf during the season ..so the odd leaf going yellow and dropping ..don’t worry.
The odd black leaf is often associated with just a small spot of canker around the leaves abscission layer...that’s the layer of cells that actually join the leaf to the tree. Providing it’s again just the odd leaf..don’t worry.

Return to “All Other Fruit”