ashley88

strawberry plant in flower and still in pot

hi everyone I have recently purchased a couple potted strawberry plants I haven't been able to plant them in the ground yet and its getting late. Both plants have quite a few flowers on them I have read that you should trim all flowers and buds off after planting, if I do will I still be able to pick strawberries in June? Also was wondering if I could just leave them in the pots until ive picked the fruit and then plant them?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've planted and harvest many, many strawberries in one gallon nursery pots. If the pots are at least that size, they should be able to easily support the fruit. Here in SC I favor putting the plants in the ground in mid fall, that way they take hold and stay green all winter. The following spring they are ready to make many strawberries and will make more runners than you care to handle. My preference is to place runners in one gallon pots of potting soil, if interested in making additional plants or replacement plants. Otherwise, the runners are just pinched off as they appear. When letting runners makes plants in pots, the plants can then be placed in the bed to give adequate space and neat appearance. For me, that works much better than the random setting of runners which if not controlled will overcrowd a bed.

Your area gets so cold in the winter, spring or summer may be the only planting time that works. Hopefully, some of the cold climate gardeners will chime in.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I think like alex you would be wiser to leave them in the pot until they have finished cropping. Planting them on at this stage when they are already carrying flower would be that they could be checked enough to loose that fruit.
Once they have fruited then plant them on so that the root system gets a chance to settle in before the winter dormancy period.

ashley88

thank you both very much I am leaving them in the pots and looking forward to some fresh berries this year! Now I am wondering......Will the plants continue to grow runners after fruit production? If not how do I do I grow the runners on it right now in a pot?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

That is easy. If the plant starts to make a runner, just take a pot of soil and set it beside the plant. Place the new plant which is growing at the end of the runner on the soil and it will take root. My plants don't generally start making runners until after berry production is mostly over.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Depending on the variety and what you would like to do with them you might get a second or third wave of flowers in the growing season. Take a look below I did and will do more videos on them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”