noobgardener

Strawberry plant falling over

I just planted this strawberry plant (bought at a nursery) and it's drooping quite a bit. Is this normal? I've never grown strawberries (or really anything) before so I'm not sure if I need to do something different or not.
thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It looks pretty ok. Probably just transplant shock. It is pretty common for newly transplanted plants to get a little shocked - the tiny root hairs probably got a bit damaged in the process, and they are in a new location that they aren't used to and aren't rooted in to. Water it well (but be sure there is good drainage so it doesn't stay wet). I would take all the flowers and berries off it, so that it can put its energy in to rooting and getting established. DON'T fertilize it until it starts putting out new leaves, again you don't want to force growth it doesn't have the root system to support.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Some of mine looked just like that after planting. It will be ok soon :)

Moley
Cool Member

take off those berries and pinch the flowers this season to promote growth

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

they should be fine. eat the berries quickly and then let them settle in. it might help to use a light organic fertilizer once a week. Make sure to take off any runners this year as well.

Return to “All Other Fruit”