from the blind

Should I plant strawberries / blueberries here?

I have a bed I just made on the back of my garage. I spend a good amount of time getting it ready and prepping the soil. Here are some before and after pictures.

My concern is that this is facing west and the will

A. not get enough sun

or

B. get to much residual heat from the garage siding.

If the berries are a no go, what do you suggest?

And After

applestar
Mod

I'm sure strawberries would be fine, and I think blueberries too though maybe not as productive as they could be.

Blackberries is another option if you are looking for berries.

If you are also open to considering annuals, ground cherries should do well there.

...where are you located?

from the blind

Mid michigan

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Edited

I'm not so sure about strawberries, depends upon your location. I had strawberries planted along a west wall, where there was no late afternoon shade and they really suffered during the heat of the summer. So if in zone 8 or warmer, that could be a problem. Blueberry bushes would likely do o.k. but then again, they are shallow rooted and may be bothered by the late afternoon sun and the reflected light from the siding.

Still if the site belonged to me, and I wanted to try strawberries and blueberries, I would give them a try. They may do just great in the location. Plus, you could always plant something out from from the bed, something that would provide some relief from the afternoon heat and direct sun.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sun May 05, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

we had a area "created" by a 3-4' retaining wall on the north side of the house - garage end. it got almost no direct sun.

strawberries did just fine there - after 2nd year I had to rake / thin them out as the runners rooted like crazy. when I established the bed I put down about 4-5 inches of peat moss; planted through that. and, few weeds - so that was not a problem.

they did get 'proper' watered - never needed to fertilize or such....

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

why don't you try both ;)

Return to “All Other Fruit”