applestar
Mod

What is this shrub or tree? -- IS IT CURRANT/RIBES?

I'm almost sure I asked about this before, but cannot find the thread and cannot remember if it was positively identified.

I'm thinking this is its 4th year -- initially looked like a perennial of some sort. But this year, it is sporting some flowers:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The leaves look pelargonium-esque. But that's all I can offer; sorry....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is interesting, because the top leaves look quite a bit different from the bottom leaves. Mulberry is one of the few things I know that does that:

But while your bottom leaves look a bit mulberry-ish, none of the mulberry leaves look like your top ones.

So, sorry, I'm no help either! :?

applestar
Mod

I thought it looked like an annual geranium when it first showed up, too, except that it kept coming back and growing an obviously woody (as in arboreal woody, not the corky toughened geranium stem) trunk. :?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

ribes.

that long spray of flowers says currant. yellow flowers...clove currant, maybe?

applestar
Mod

Uh oh, really? ...not supposed to have one of those because of the Pine Barrens..... :shock:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

send it me if you have to. :wink:

I'm not supposed to have them either, but I'd help you out anyway.

Jardin du Fort

If that is indeed what it is (clove currant) I believe the ban has been lifted. I don't know for sure, but read a comment on another site that said so..... :?:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

most of those rules are state-by-state. lots of nurseries still have long lists of where they can't ship ribes to.

I'm gonna go double-check my state laws on the subject:

no, it's still illegal here. all plants to be destroyed. no one can ship or bring them in. it's a dumb law for here.

regardless, the thing in the OP is definitely a currant of some sort, and I'm sure someone who can grow such things legally will come along and agree so that I don't have to incriminate myself too badly. :lol:

applestar
Mod

OK, edited the title of the topic.
I'd like confirmation, but may have to make an "executive decision" with or without :?

Anyone know if it has to be uprooted -- I.e. ENTIRE plant needs to be destroyed?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

check out your state laws...I just checked nj stuff, it looks like european black currant is verboten, there's a couple counties where red currants and gooseberries are okay, and it's possible that all other currants might not be regulated? check it out.

I'd love it if my state didn't just have a blanket refusal to allow anything in the genus.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

For what it's worth...if it was in my garden over here..I would say it was a current of one sort or another.

applestar
Mod

Thanks JONA, and thanks potatoes and jardin :D

I guess I'll dig deeper and find out if I can keep it. It's in the kids' garden that is turning into a fruit garden, so it would be fun if it can stay. 8)

The fact that it's here -- it must be a bird-planted volunteer, ergo, there must be a plant somewhere near....

applestar
Mod

Fruits developing....

applestar
Mod

Did I mention that the fruits ripened red last year? -- so I think we're OK :wink:

Here it is, bearing many more fruit trusses this year :D
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I'm almost positive I took a photo of this shrub in fruit -- I'll have to look for it later.... Here is a collage of the fruits harvested earlier in June at the same timeframe as strawberries, raspberries, mulberries and blueberries :D
image.jpg

Return to “All Other Fruit”