pastrycheffowler

strawberries are wilting(basically dead)

help i drastically need to save my strawberry plant but it may be too late. 2 days ago the plant started wilting and the leaves were turning brown. i snapped pictures and went up to a local nursery and asked what was going on. after i told them that i just planted these plants into my box last sunday they said that its just transplant shock and if i water evenly when the soil is dry then it will spring back up. well the soil wasnt dry until today, so i watered but im afraid that i wont be able to save this yellow alpine strawberry. this plant gets about 7 hours of direct sunlight then its in the shade till sundown. i have 6 strawberry plants total, 2 yellows and 4 reds, all alpine. one of my red alpines is starting to do the same thing and all of them have brown edges on the leaves, but from my searches online this is not abnormal. ive found postings calling it a disease, under-watering, over-watering, and even fungus. but with all these things stating they are the one cause of these symptoms i have no idea what it is, let alone how to save it.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Re: strawberries are wilting(basically dead)

You'd be surprised at how well these alpines bounce back. Don't fertilize but keep wet and it may make it. I would spray some worm tea on the leaves maybe...

The sick leaves will probably die off and you'll see some new baby ones popping up in the middle.

applestar
Mod

It's a good idea to put just transplanted containers in dappled shade for at least 24 hrs, 2-3 days if the sun is strong/harsh. Could this be the issue?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

pastrycheffowler

The very first day they had about half the day in bright sun. 2 days after that it was overcast. I followed advice of a local and added a little fertilizer and some fish fertilizer and they perked up within hours. Which is curious if you ask me. Now I notice yes they are all standing tall but the bush pictured is really dry and brittle. The soil that was watered this morning is almost completely dry all the way to the bottom. I built a massive tiered box system for these plants and. Will share a picture of it shortly. I built this box for superb drainage but I suspect I did too good of a job since the soil seems really dry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What does that mean "built for superb drainage"? You may have done too good a job. New transplants don't have much root system established, so as well as being protected from too much harsh sun, they need to stay pretty evenly moist all the time.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

pastrycheffowler

it means i spent time making sure that the drainage of these boxes works, and works well. if i did too good of a job then i should be watering them everyday right, because you should water when the soil is dry

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Even without "superb drainage" new transplants, especially if in full sun, should be watered daily until they have established roots.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

pastrycheffowler

ok thats good to know

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”