Gary350
Super Green Thumb

White Peach Tree who has one?

I bought a White Peach, Apple and Burgundy Plum tree today. Online it says, the reason you never see white peach in the store is because they can not be shipped they damage too easy but they are a much better peach than what is available in the store.

Anyone have a white peach tree?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Re: White Peach Tree who has one?

Hi Gary.
I've had a Peregrin white peach for over twenty years over here. As our climate is not too helpful for peaches its growing under glass.
I reckon the peaches off it are superb. I know they are more delicate than some of the more regular types but they are worth the effort as they are far sweeter even when they are slightly under ripe.
I've found that once they start to ripen they can be picked and stored easily so that the season is a little more spread and also far less damage and bruising is done as they are picked.
I've only the one tree...but it has been grown so that it acts as a shade plant for the nursery plants underneath it. It regularly gives several peaches per season.
An apple a day.....keeps me in work.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sorry.....last line should have read.....several hundred peaches per season. !!!!!
An apple a day.....keeps me in work.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

i don't have a white peach tree, but it's not at all uncommon to see them at grocery stores here. they're definitely sweeter than yellow peaches, not sure you can just say 'better'...depending on what you want peaches for. white peaches don't necessarily have that full peach flavor.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I have 'elberta white', a cold hardy peach. zone 4...and when picked fully ripe(when the top of the peach is soft when gently pressed) is...well bring a paper towel...yumm :()

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:i don't have a white peach tree, but it's not at all uncommon to see them at grocery stores here. they're definitely sweeter than yellow peaches, not sure you can just say 'better'...depending on what you want peaches for. white peaches don't necessarily have that full peach flavor.

I too can get the white peaches in stores when in season. To me, they definitely have a sweeter flavor and, like you, they don't taste like you would think a peach should taste. I find them a bit blander in flavor even though sweeter.

If I had to compare it to another fruit I'd say they are about as different as a cantaloupe is to a muskmelon.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We have a white peach tree that is so old I don't think anyone alive remembers the variety. Absolutely love the flavor. We also have several yellow peaches we love, but not as much as the white.
Paul F

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

When they are in season, here, you can get them just as easily as normal peaches. The stores have the same amount. Personally I strongly dislike white peaches. I have only ever had the store bought ones though so maybe someday I will plant one :)

applestar
Mod

I have a dwarf Carolina Belle white peach.

This is basically the fourth year since it started to fruit, and yield has approximately doubled each year.
I need to take better care of it as it's in an awkward spot and has weeds overtaking it: Fruit size has been small but excellent flavor. :D

I think with better ground maintenance and fertilizing, plus more aggressive/decisive fruit thinning, we should have a better quality harvest. :oops:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

How big is it? My dwarf peach that I have had for quite a while is only about 4 feet tall but the canopy is only 1 foot in any direction. :shock: Keep in mind it is a genetic dwarf but still it grows RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY slow. I am wondering if yours does that too? My other fruit have put on 3-4 feet of new growth already :shock:

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”