dogdayz21

too late to prune raspberry plants?

I have Dormanred raspberries. This is their 3rd season in the ground. I noticed floricanes coming up this year (just learned about them on this forum! :D ) Is it too late to prune the old stems back? The one that have turned brown/grey?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

IMO raspberry plants are almost indestructible. I prune out old or weak canes at any time. At the worst, you might be trimming off some spring fruit production, but if the canes are gray or black then I doubt it.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I'm not aware of the Dorman Red raspberry but brambles should be pruned back down to the ground as close as you can manage.
After the second year, old dead canes that have had fruit are useless and once cut should be burned to keep disease and harmful insects at bay that may infest the canes.

Brown canes are an indication of being dead and should be cut back. Gray bark on canes could be signs of something serious such as Anthracnose.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Dogday...

I think you will find that your Rasp variety is an Everbearer or Primocane type.
So the new canes growing from it cannot be floricanes as that is the general term for the other type of raspberry that fruits on two year old cane and crops all in one great flush.

So all the canes that are growing fresh from the ground this year on your plants will crop this year.
Old canes are cut down to ground level or just above in the fall. A few younger canes can be left to give you an early flush of berries next year before the main cropping starts.
I would cut all the old ( last years ) cane off this year and let the new cane grow to give you a steady crop from mid-summer through to the first frosts.

dogdayz21

Cool, thanks for all of the advice! :-()

Return to “All Other Fruit”