TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

Mature avocado tree flowers, but doesn't fruit

I was at a friend's house this weekend when I noticed her avocado tree:

I was very intrigued, and was preparing to offer her all sorts of vegetable trades, when she disappointed me by telling me that it has never fruited in the 10 years since she's lived here. The tree was already here when she moved in, so she doesn't know the variety or age.

The tree looks reasonably healthy, and it's flowering right now. It's about 14' from ground to the tip.

What are the most common reasons that an avocado tree won't fruit?

This area is definitely avocado-friendly, as I have two neighbors about 1/2 mile from each other that both have heavy bearing trees.

This friend is a 3 mile crow flight from those other two trees, but it's a very similar climate.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

many times hybrids are sterile.....

like "It's Daid, Jim!" - ain't not no every gonna' happen.....

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Either that or it needs a pollinator.

applestar
Mod

From all I've read, pollinator, I agree is probably the key.
Avocados have male and female blossoms and they do not release pollen/are not receptive at the same time on the same tree. The usual description is that there are type A and type B varieties and you need both varieties to pollinate each other.

(This also means seed-grown avocados are mostly cross pollinated and will not grow into exactly same tree or bear same fruit as the parent.)

There are varieties that are self pollinating though since the dwarf avocado I bought is described as self-pollinating. But mine has a few years to go before it will be bearing age.

If your neighbors' trees are also in bloom right now and they are willing, you could try bringing some flowering branches and keep them in buckets under your friend's tree. Apparently this works for fruit trees like apples and cherries. (I don't know if this will work for avocados but it's worth a try. 8) )

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You saved me a lot of typing applestar! I agree 100%. But if you do take some branches and keep them in water most people report better success with keeping them in a jar of water inside the tree. If you were worried about them falling you could use a mixture of straps and tape though most people just wedge it between 2 branches.

imafan26
Mod

imafan26
Mod

If she is ambitious, she can graft a compatible avocado onto her tree and hopefully that will help with pollination.

Peter99
Newly Registered

I have an old avocado tree which has produced a very good crop this season after a poor crop last season.
My area the Western Cape - South Africa is experiencing a sever drought - very little rain during the winter time - Mediterranean climate - here.

My tree is in flower now but has still much fruit. In the past when flowering there was little fruit on the tree.

Will this have any impact on next season's crop? Must I strip the tree of its fruit or just harvest normally?

Your reply will be appreciated.

Peter

imafan26
Mod

It is unusual for avocadoes to fuit and flower at the same time. If your fruit has been on the tree for 9 months or more, it is probably time to harvest them. Avocadoes don't really ripen until they are picked, but if you leave them too long on a tree they will sprout on it.

The weather may have influenced your tree and confused it so it does not know when to flower. A lot of plants bloomed earlier this year because it had warmed up sooner than usual.

Return to “All Other Fruit”