jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ants bothering your small trees?

This ant trap is made by wrapping masking tape around the tree with the sticky side out.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Wow. That is a lot of ants! I have never had that on trees but have on other plants. Is it warm enough there for aphids yet? If it is I would guess that the ants are "farming" the aphids up high on the tree.

applestar
Mod

That's a great idea!
Just yesterday, I saw some ants on my cherry trees which got me looking and I found the curled leaves with black oily aphids inside :evil:

Hopefully ths morning's frost slowed them down, but I'll wrap the trees tomorrow. :twisted:

KeriFord

LOVE. THIS. IDEA.

Will be doing it to my poor, struggling peach tree.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

The other day I was out looking at my peach and it had ants on it. Now where near the amount that you have but it is also a brand new tree. I have not found a single aphid on it so I have no idea what they are doing? I am going to go out a wrap mine.

applestar
Mod

OK you must have a super sticky masking tape, or the blue 3-M painter's tape is not sticky enough. The ants are walking right over it once they've figured it out.

It WAS amusing to see them get all confused -- "We LOST the trail !!!"

I'll have to dig out the can of tanglefoot ... I think I still have some.

imafan26
Mod

How often do you have to change the tape?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Don't forget though that the ants were only there because you may have an aphid problem.
Get rid of the ants...but the aphids will need dealing with too.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

sometimes on things like cherries with extra-floral nectaries, the ants are just visiting-collecting, but not actually 'bothering' anything.

I did put the duct-tape version of that trap on the posts holding up the back porch last year. worked for a couple months.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I realized that since mine is such a new tree it still has a stake so they would just climb in between the tree and the stake...

BTW James you have huge ants!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Brand new Polyethylene Plastic is slippery ants and spiders fall right off. If you wrap a strip of it around the tree starting at the bottom in a cork screw type circle up the tree, then tape it at the top, it makes a slippery place ants can not cross over.

Down side is after being outside aging in the weather it looses its slippery ability after a few months, it needs to be replaced with new plastic sometimes.

The .004 mil black ground cover plastic sold at Lowe's works great.

Return to “All Other Fruit”