Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Blueberries in containers and overwintering

I am in zone 4a and love growing fruit. I was wondering if anyone had experience or good luck growing blueberries in a pot?

I have already unfortunately failed at growing them in the ground.

Thoughts?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You can very easily grow them in pots. They do very well. Did you do a soil test and lower the ph if needed? I have a feeling that is why you failed. Just grow them in a pot with potting soil that has a low ph. You can either lower the ph using elemental sulfur or you can buy potting soil that is marked for azaleas and other acid loving plants. Hope this helps!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks !! I just wanted to make sure it could be done. I am going to save my cash now for them :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Do you think I could amend my soil with coffee grounds ?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You can but contradictory to popular believe they are not really acidic. To my understanding coffe is very acidic before you make coffee out of them but then the coffee is acidic and the grounds are fairly neutral. I just use mine anywhere in the garden.

I would recommend using azalea fertilizers too. They are also low in ph. Some people recommend amending the soil with peat moss which has a low ph but I do not recommend using it because it is not sustainable and the way it is mined is not pretty for the environment. For more info on why I recommend not using peat check out this. I choose not to but a lot of people do that is just my view on it.

https://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20ch ... 20peat.pdf

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I think I should have enough to go on for the planning phase of my garden :)

So if I used unmade coffee it would be more acidic and help the plant?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You could I guess but there are other things that would help more and be the same price as a bag of coffee or even cheaper.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thanks !

applestar
Mod

I've been wondering why you want to grow them in the pot.
I thought maybe it's hardiness issue, but thought blueberries are hardy in Zone 4 -- or rather, there are varieties that should be hardy there -- so I checked my favorite info surce for extra-cold hardy fruit plants and trees, and it does seem like you should be able to grow them in the ground?

:arrow: https://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/blueberries.html

I haven't looked but fedco should also be a good reference.

...obviously these are U.S. nurseries, but I'm sure there must be Canadian sources.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

The problem I have is my yard is capped with 2' of high plasticity clay. So not only does it not let the water infiltrate quickly buy it holds water and swells. I think that and the lack of acidity in the soil probably will kill then every time.

I figured a pot I could at least get a little more control over it :)

I will probably take the bottom off a cedar box so it can extend into the soil below once it is nice and stabilized.

Do I need two varieties to cross pollinate ?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Found the answer in the posted link. Thanks :)

amylong
Cool Member

How big does the pot have to be?? I live in NY zone 6b, is it too late for me to start blueberries? Thank you everyone:)

muddynurse
Newly Registered

I am currently growing 30 blueberries in pots. This is my set up!

30 blueberries. My husband and I got them from his brother when they were about 12-18 months "old" The brother in law is trying to find the balance between farming and his day job, in Kentucky, we are in FAR north east Ohio, so the varieties he gave us are Elliot, Highland, Duke, and a few others. We decided to plant them in pots for a few reasons, one being we are planning to move in a few years, and I want to take them with us AND the soil are our house is pretty terrible we also have a major clay issue. We got 5 gallon paint buckets from my sister, who is a rep for a major paint company. We drilled 4-5 holes about 1/4-1/2 inch in the bottom of the pots and a few about 1-2inches from the bottom up the sides We mixed 1/2 peat moss and 1/2 pine bark mulch and planted away. I took some of that weed barrier, not that thick solid black but the breathable like, mesh netting layed it in the grass in my garden and placed the pots on it. Water frequently. I actually bought a drip irrigation set up for it but just haven't set it up yet.

So far so good, all 30 of the plants are sprouting. Oh and we transplanted them about a month ago.

-the buckets happen to be blue too, so its kinda cute. Hope this helps!!!

If I can figure out how to attach a pic I will!

muddynurse
Newly Registered

I figured it out!
Attachments
rps20130506_122945_295.jpg

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

They look good! I might try some in planter boxes that ill install in the fall. Just like most Urban Gardeners I have plants for 125% of the space I have. next year :D

thanks for the help guys and gals!! I look forward to having my own!!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Your setup looks great!

Return to “All Other Fruit”