kcopper

Fruit Trees that Do Not Need Regular Pruning?

I am looking at getting some fruit trees, however I would prefer ones that do not have to be pruned regularly. I currently have an apple tree and that is fine. Any suggestions?
Ken

applestar
Mod

Plant recommendations can't be made without knowing the location, climate, USDA Zone. Please post where you are located, what size tree (only tree fruit?) and any other pertinent information. :D

kcopper

I'm in Scotland so the climate is not brilliant (cool and wet). I'm not too worried about the size, as long as I gain some fruit. I've heard that there are some pear trees that may grow well??

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi KC.

The best I could suggest is you look up the site...'Scottish Orchards.'
They list a good variety of vars that grow up your direction.
With you climate of dampness you will have to make sure that they have good resistance to Scab.
Many of your traditional vars will do well as also Scandinavian ones too.
( Ingrid Marie etc).
Afraid that all fruit trees need some pruning ...but pears need less than apples as a rule and roots stock choice can help somewhat too.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Almost all fruit trees, to do well long term, need a winter cut. This doesn't have to take long though. In the commercial orchards in CA I have seen them take as little as 15 to 20 minutes per tree.

kcopper

Thanks for the replies. I found loads of different apple varieties that can grow in my climate that I didn't even knew existed. I have decided to plant another apple tree and have gone for the 'bloody ploughman' apple.

Also I am now keen on planting a plum tree as I heard these can grow well up in Scotland. Does anyone recommend a variety of plum?

Thanks
Ken

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Kc.

Nice choice with the Bloody Ploughman. Pretty apple with its red flesh and a good keeper.
As regards the plum. I would suggest something that flowers quite late to escape the frosts. Marjorie Seedling perhaps.?

kcopper

Thanks for all the advice JONA. I think I'm going to listen to you and go for the Marjorie Seedling. The plums look great and they look suited to my climate.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

kcopper wrote:I found loads of different apple varieties that can grow in my climate that I didn't even knew existed.
There are a ton of different varieties of apples. I actually have a relative from a very long time ago that has his own variety of apple. His house in the midwest (which is no longer in the family) has 5 planted along it. Some day I want to go there and take cuttings from them if they are still there. :D

JONA878
Greener Thumb

At the last count it was estimated that there was about 7,500 varieties of apples world wide.
This did not count the untold numbers of vars grown by individuals from seed which would be unknown and as RA says could be called whatever the grower wished.

As there are only 3,500 vars of grass....from lawn through cereals to bamboos etc....it shows how popular the apple has been over the last 10.000 years.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it certainly helps that for quite a while it was much safer to drink (hard) cider than water in some places.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi KC. I've been looking up the story behind your Bloody Ploughman. It's quite interesting.
First recorded at Carse of Cowrie up there in Scotland in 1883.
The story goes that it takes its name from a ploughman who was caught stealing apples from the Megginch Estate and was shot by the gamekeeper.His wife was given the bag of apples and she threw them on the rubbish tip and one of the seedlings that emerged was rescued by a workman and subsequently named.

How true??...who knows.

Return to “All Other Fruit”