sepeters

tiger melons

We had a discussion on tiger melons a while back and lots of people said they wanted to grow them this summer! I grew them last year and originally said I was going to grow musk melons this year instead...but I changed my mind! They're already getting their first true leaves and I am so excited I can hardly wait!

Yes, yes, I know most of you are still battling frost or just now getting your first plants in the ground, but don't worry, you can give me the business in a little over a month when it's over 100 degrees on a daily basis and everything (including myself) but my melons are struggling to survive. :hehe:

So, who all is growing them for sure? I found they're sweeter and more flavorful if I let them fully ripen on the vine til they fell off of their own accord, and then refrigerated them for a couple days. Any other tips to improve their flavor?

I can almost smell them now... :-()

sepeters

I'm not sure why I typed "tiger" (twice) when I meant "tigger." Sorry!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I would love too lol just lacking the seeds :)

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I would grow them vertically :)

drgreenzo
Newly Registered

Hello!
Just joined the forum, I enjoy growing diffrent types of fruits and vegetables especially melons!Now ive only grow tigger melons once, couple years ago, turned out very nice, very delicious, I also kept them in the fridge for 2 days are so before munching, seemed to taste sweeter for sure. Ive heard a trick of poring ice water on the roots aday are two before harvesting your final melons on the plant, supposedly it increases the suger content, anyone else heard of this? Not growing tigger melons this years but iam growing some crimsom sweets, delicious 51, golden diana and yellow doll.

Royiah

I am! Mine just sprouted the other day! :mrgreen: Needles to say I am very excited!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I get most of my seeds at the grocery store. I buy food with seeds. Seeds grow and food is great. Tiger stripe melons are good I have planted them in the past. I planted 3 kinds of melons March 1st hope to have ripe melons in 120 days.

sepeters

Woo hoo, Royiah! Just wait til you smell those babies. Wow! Mine are just beginning to train themselves to the trellis. Once the nights are warm they will grow so fast it will a battle to keep them off the other plants, 6 ft. trellis notwithstanding!

Gary, I'm glad to hear things are sprouting now! What melons are you workin on? Did your beans (or was it peas?) come up? Getting seeds from your food is certainly a cost effective way to go! Two birds with one stone, what's not to love? I did that last year with my honeydew and they did great, second generation seemed true to the parent. Only problem is I have to grow them vertically and they snapped the trellis during a strong wind. :hehe: Later in the season if you'd like to pick up some tigger melon's from SE's garden foodmart I'd be happy to share so you can get some food and seed. :)

And DrGreenzo, I am so jealous of all your different melons! I remember one summer when we were kids we convinced our mom to let us do the garden...and the whole yard was a giant melon patch (made some interesting hybrids the next year) with giant okra plants growing willy nilly all over! I've never heard of the ice water thing, but I will give it a shot. If nothing else it'll give my melons a cool drink! Who'd pass that up on a summer day? :()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I know a guy in TN that grows lots of melons. He says water your plants with sugar water the last couple weeks before harvest it makes the melons a lot sweeter.

I have never tried this so I have no clue if it really works.

Royiah

sepeters wrote:Woo hoo, Royiah! Just wait til you smell those babies. Wow! Mine are just beginning to train themselves to the trellis. Once the nights are warm they will grow so fast it will a battle to keep them off the other plants, 6 ft. trellis notwithstanding!
Oh you have no idea how excited I am! My dad thinks I've gone a little crazy since he's caught me out in my garden several time trying to see if my melons have grown any! :idea:)

Return to “All Other Fruit”