Rhorniv
Newly Registered

New Trees not growing

I bought and planted an Early Richmond Cherry and a Golden Delicious Apple. Since then I have seen absolutely no growth or anything. My peach tree seems to be taking off very well so that has me wondering if its something I did or just got some bad trees. This evening I stopped by the place I bought them and looked at the other cherry trees and they aren't showing anything either. I saw other type of apple trees at another place and they are starting to grow leaves. Any ideas of what it might be, I really don't want to have to get rid of them if I don't have to.

applestar
Mod

Generally, peaches are earlier to wake up fom hibernation than apples or cherries.

Let me see... I'm pretty sure cherries start up next, then apples.

...there will be differences according to individual variety characteristics as well.

Peaches are usually self pollinating, but apples and cherries often need a second variety to cross pollinate in order to set fruit. Sometimes suitable pollinators are already growing in the area.

GrowLightGuy
Newly Registered

My apple's were slow to start. I have two that came as dormant bare root back in November. One has some new growth just now poking through and the other has yet to do anything at all. I do remember when I put the first tree in a few years ago that it took forever to show signs of life. Just be patient with them. :-)

ruggr10
Green Thumb

apples are slow, especially if planted bear root. just be patient.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Did you buy plants at Lowe's or Home Depot? I bought all my fruit trees and berry plants there I don't think they are good quality. I had several trees die and had to be replaced and 2 grape vines died and needed to be replaced.

My Peach and Plum have been planted a month and both have been growing for 2 weeks.

My Apple tree has been planted 3 weeks, it looks fine but no signs of growing.

The Nectarine has been planted 3 weeks looks ok but no signs of growing either.

My white beach has been planted 2 weeks it appears to be growing.

Grapes and Blackberry and growing fine both have been planted 4 weeks.

Blueberry and Black Raspberry are both been planted 3 weeks showing no signs of growing but they look fine.

The Pomegranate has been planted 6 weeks and has grown 6" taller.

The 4 Pecan trees look dead they looked dead when I bought them, only had them 1 week so far.

Be sure your trees get a little bit too much water for now until they gets started.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I agree with Gary... anything bought at lowes or home depot I've had to cut down and replace.

estorms

The old adage is true. The first year, they sleep, the second year, they creep, the third year, they leap!

Return to “All Other Fruit”