The Natural
Cool Member

BlackBerry Bushes Came In!!!!

Happy happy happy, been waiting almost 2 months for the plant nurserys too start shipping. Both my Ouachita And Apache blackberries came in. They kind of resemble twigs but I'm sure they will bush in no time.

Will post pics soon! :lol:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Don't expect much the first year. I planted bare root blackberry plants a couple years ago and got about 10 berries the first summer, but tons of vine growth. Last summer I got a good bit of berries from the previous years canes and at the end of the season I removed them so new canes that will produce this years crop could come in.

My cane growth is pretty good and is just starting to leaf out in places and I see new canes poking out the ground every other day or so. Hopefully this years crop will be better than last years. But with all things fruit and vegetable, it is a junk shoot. Some years it's abundance, others you just get by.

The Natural
Cool Member

Yea I'm not expecting too much myself. I was actually told too force them too not fruit at all this year and wait until the following year. Which I will probably do. What strain of blackberry do you have? If you don't mind me asking.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I put in 4 Ouachita plants year before last. Even though they say they don't really need a trellis and are pretty self supporting, I decided to build one anyway to try to contain their vines to a certain footprint.

I planted them next to a shed in a dug out area 20 ft. long x 2 ft. wide. Where they are in my yard is parallel to my vegetable garden and I only have about 3 ft. of walking space before you are walking in my vegetable garden. If left to grow and cascade naturally, I'd be moving vines to make it to the back of my yard.

The Natural
Cool Member

Haha the results sounds awesome wish youd post a few pics. I will be posting some soon my ouachita just started popin green leaves, only the apache left too go.

earthlingom

what company did you order from, I am looking to purchase some black berry bushes, for MI though.... and am looking to the Kiowa type.

The Natural
Cool Member

Just about any company has them. I Found my apache at walmart, and waited till a local nursery released the Ouachita.

Just do a google search for kiowa blackberry for sale.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

earthlingom wrote:what company did you order from, I am looking to purchase some black berry bushes, for MI though.... and am looking to the Kiowa type.
I got my Ouachita from Lowe's. Right now they have them, along with bare root grape plants and blueberries in stock in my neck of the woods.

The Natural
Cool Member

will be updating soon.

LGT

Does anyone know what kind of blackberries usually grow wild in South Georgia? I grew up picking those and eating them. I would love to find them in the grocery store but want to make sure I am buying the right kind.

The Natural
Cool Member

I hear the hybrid blackberries blow wild ones away, as far as taste and size.
I have never actually seen any blackberries for sale, just as jams,jellies, premade cobblers. Ive noticed the blackberries growing near the rivers in my area are doing twice as good as the wild ones in my backyard. The wild ones in my back yard are tiny and just turning red. Near the creeks and rivers they are quarter sized and near black.

LGT

We get blackberries for sale here in the grocery stores and at farmer's markets. At the grocery store, I can't remember if they even label what kind they are. I will have to check next time I go. They of course do not sell them all year round.

Return to “All Other Fruit”