dtlocke
Newly Registered

I don't know anything about peach trees (but I have one!)

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so thanks in advance for any help! My wife and I recently moved into a new rental home, and there is what appears to be a peach tree in the back yard. It is now in bloom and I am wondering what I can do to take care of it, as it doesn't look all that great at the moment. I'm specifically wondering about pruning, and any kind of disease prevention I should be doing. I've included some pictures. Thanks again for any help!Image Image

dtlocke
Newly Registered

Oh, I should have mentioned that we live in Southern California, about 30 miles east of Los Angeles.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Looks like that tree is fruiting. It's been several days from when you posted. What is happening to the flowers or just below them?

If the tree looks healthy it is. You are seeing that it gets water and I don't see why you shouldn't give some fertilizer not too strong. There are a couple fellows on this forum who can tell you more about feeding and not over watering as the fruit is forming. I hope you have good luck with it. Let us know if you see signs of fruit forming.

richard

chermom

I brought an ornamental tree back to life by first trimming off all branches with no leaf buds or flower buds. that way it can focus all it's energy on the healthy branches. then got some fertilizer spikes and used the amt specified for the height of the tree. the first year didn't look so good but the next year it was full of leaves and flowers.

Hortman

Hello dtlocke. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the forums!!

Peach trees are native to China. They have a winter chill requirement.
Regular peach trees need 600-900 hours at or below 45*F. Low chill
varieties are best for warm winter climates. Insufficient chilling will
result in “delayed leafout, scanty crop, and eventual death of the tree.â€

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hortman, Thanks for that post. We planted several stone fruit last year and again this year. I've read about the cleaning of shears but have to admit never done so, I've been lucky, I will use that care from now on. Thanks again

richard

Return to “All Other Fruit”