Hieron

How to control the size of a tree?

Hello All - I'm looking to add some nut trees to my yard, but I need to stick to smaller varieties (no walnuts for me :( ). I'm going to do a hazelnut since they naturally stay small, but a couple other options that caught me eye are not so clean and cut. For example, apparently Chinese Chestnuts get anywhere from 15 to 40 feet tall! Why is there such a huge range? Is there anything I can do to ensure that it would stick around 15 feet while keeping the tree healthy? I'm assuming that simple pruning can't keep a tree that wants to hit 40 feet down at 15. Anyway any info is appreciated! I'm considering that as well as an almond tree that reportedly ranges from 15 - 25 feet.

applestar
Mod

I've been looking for smaller nut trees too. So I don't have any yet, but based on research only --

I'm thinking maybe the shorter chestnut trees are grafted? If the nursery you are looking at is that vague, look for a more reliable source that can give you a definitive answer and why.

Another smaller nut tree I've had my eyes on is Japanese heart nut.
I'm looking at Miller Nurseries in NY but there may be other sources better suited/closer for you.

...also I'm thinking about getting a hardy almond -- not Hall's Hardy Almond which is said to be bitter but either All in One or another new one that recently came to my attention called Ukrainian (I think) Almond.

(I hope I don't have that reversed. I don't have time to verify right now).

imafan26
Mod

Try keeping them in pots. It will limit them for awhile. Especially if you root prune. We have a cashew. It produced exactly one nut so far, but it is only three feet tall

There are many true dwarf fruit and nut trees available. Do get them from a reliable source. Be careful some people graft standard varieties on dwarf root stock.

You can keep trees short by regularly pruning them. Apples and grapes are often espaliered.

There are short fig varieties that can be kept to the 8-10 foot range by pruning. Some of them grow more like shrubs than trees. They handle pots well and will give fruit even when very small.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Look up Dave Wilson's Nursery videos on youtube. Most of the videos teach you how to size control trees for backyard orchard. You can keep most trees at the 6-7 foot range.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Hieron.

Nearly all Nut trees are grown on grafted root stocks.
Most of these stocks are grown from seed, ..unlike apple/pear and stone fruit stocks which are mainly vegetatively grown.
The snag is that with the exception of the Walnuts Rita, they are not that dwarfing. So in these trees it is mainly up to good vegetative control by pruning and root containment to keep the trees down to a respectful size.

With Sweetchestnuts the stocks are mainly Sativa, Crenata or Sativa X Crenata. All of these are vigorous though ...its just that they would all produce trees of similar size so that a plantation would be all the same hight for easier maintenance and cropping.

As you say Hazelnuts and Cob nuts are by nature a more dwarfing tree and much easier to control.

Apples/Pears and all the stone fruits are on grafted stocks which give you many choices of plant growth and finishing tree hights.
That said....Plum and Cherry stocks are not quite so successful as the apples and pears at really small dwarfing. So again it requires good training and pruning skills to keep them down to a low level.
Here is when the large pot can work wonders in doing the job for you.

Hieron

Thanks so much for all the info guys! I'll definitely check out the videos - sounds like root pruning etc. will help me do what I want to do, but I don't quite get how it's done, lol. Hopefully those will help me out.

Anyway thanks for the info all! Have a good one.

Return to “All Other Fruit”