Scotty_TN

Question about Blackberries

Hi I am new here and a new gardener. I have a question that maybe you all could help me with. I love blackberries and want to start an orchard of them.

I bought recently 1 blackberry plant (thornless). I intend to plant that in the next few days.

I have some wild blackberries growing along the road side near my house, but they are never pruned so they are always small. My question is, can I transplant those into my garden somehow?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yes, you can transplant those wild blackberry vines into your yard if you like. Simply pull some of the root stock, cut the canes several inches above ground level and transplant where you want them. Keep them moist to promote new root growth.

Scotty_TN

thanks for the quick reply. What time of year should I do this?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Scotty_TN wrote:thanks for the quick reply. What time of year should I do this?
Not knowing where you're from makes it a bit harder to answer. I live in the deep south and our winter has been relatively mild and it would not hurt to do this right now. I have 4 thornless blackberry plants in my garden for 2 years now.

You'll not get berries the first year after planting the new bush or a transplant. Blackberries come the next year on the canes that grow this year. Once they bear fruit, they need to be removed so the canes coming next year produce fruit the following year.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I just noticed you're sig line says Scotty_TN so I assume you're in Tennessee. If they are wild blackberries, it probably won't hurt to try some now if your weather is not in the freezing temperature area. What do you have to lose if you have to replant some if these don't take as they're free for the taking.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I do question as to why you want to plant wild berries though.
I know they cost you nothing....but they will not give you the quality of fruit that the hybrid berry will give you and the growth could be all over the place as well.
There are so many varieties available now that would give you a great spread of harvesting times and you can be sure that they are virus free to boot.

Scotty_TN

Good point. I guess it is better to buy the tame berries. Any idea on how many berries one bush would yield? I have a fence with enough room to grow about 7 plants.

This is my first year to garden. I am starting with my 4 favorite fruits/veggies. Blackberries, strawberries, tomatoes, and asparagus.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Scotty_TN wrote:Good point. I guess it is better to buy the tame berries. Any idea on how many berries one bush would yield? I have a fence with enough room to grow about 7 plants.

This is my first year to garden. I am starting with my 4 favorite fruits/veggies. Blackberries, strawberries, tomatoes, and asparagus.
Don't expect any blackberries or asparagus this year. New blackberry plants will grow canes this year that will produce fruit in the summer of 2014.

While they are busy making blackberries, the plants will send up new shoots that will replace the ones that bear fruit next year. Those old canes will need to be removed since they will not produce berries again.

I've not grown asparagus, but it is my understanding they take a few years to get established enough to make a good crop. I'm sure someone in here with more experience will give you the straight scoop on them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”