bwhite829

just a ramblin man's thoughts about living in nw fl....

Gets too cold to try some tropical plants w/o a greenhouse or bringing them in because we normally have a few hard freezes each year and too warm for the colder climate berries and apples that max out in zone 7-8! GRRRR!

Not sure if we had enough chill hours this year for the plums and peaches to have a good set. Last year we got 0 plums and just a few peaches because last winter was so warm.

At least scuppernongs grow well every year. I need to put me a vine up so DW doesn't eat all of my grandfather's, his brother's, and their neighbor's.

Sweet Kumquats did amazing this year, might graft some or root some for myself soon.

Need to get a blood orange graft from a friend of the family across the AL state line. my first experience with them in Dec was quite pleasant.

Satsumas...YUM!

I hope we get a good crop of figs so I can try to make a figgy melomel to try!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Everywhere has its challenges! Sounds like you are making a good start on figuring out what grows well in your climate, which I think is key to success. Lots of people waste a lot of energy trying to force things to grow in climates/ conditions they are not suited for. Look around for what fruits are native to your area.

imafan26
Mod

True, it is better to work with what you can grow well, rather than struggle with something that needs conditions you cannot provide.

It can be fun growing things that other people can't. Natives are always a good bet and can be tasty too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:True, it is better to work with what you can grow well, rather than struggle with something that needs conditions you cannot provide.

It can be fun growing things that other people can't. Natives are always a good bet and can be tasty too.
Exactly. I'm limited to fruit trees that don't need cold weather conditions to allow them to set fruit in the spring. I love just about all apples, but they'd never set fruit in Zone 9 conditions.

Truth is, even native plants can sometimes have issues. Squash Vine Borers typically destroy all my summer squash plants just after the first harvest. Tomato plants act like magnets to stink bugs, horn worms, leaf miners and such. With our mild winters the past 2 years, I've noticed an increase in pest populations hitting my spring/summer garden.

valerieh
Newly Registered

You could try some of the varieties of plum and peaches that were created for our area that don't require very many chill hours to fruit. UF created quite a few I know. I just bought Floridaking and a Floridacrest peach trees to plant this year. This guy has a good website and if you click on the link at the bottom of the page that says,"Panic Button, just the facts," , it is a PDF document with everything you need to know from planting to pruning.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You can get low chill of most deciduous fruits. I just planted a less than 100 chill hour peach.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Bwhite - check this link. Our climates are very similar so what works in south Louisiana (Lafayette) should work for you.

https://www.lsuagcenter.com/nr/rdonlyres ... ghres2.pdf

Most citrus are a given. Lots of berries do well. Figs of course. My sister had apples. The trees were there when she bought the property and they produced well until a storm blew one down. For years Dad had canning pears, peaches, plums, figs, blueberries and an assortment of citrus. The pears died of old age and had to be replaced. When Dad died the peaches and plums were on their last leg. A couple of years later they had to be cut down. My brother planted Mom a new peach tree last year. It is full of blossoms. Need to ask him what variety.

Hope the link helps. Good luck.

Return to “All Other Fruit”