Aida

Is it possible to grow wild strawberries in zone 9?

Hi guys. My faveorite berry is most likely a wild strawberry(or woodland strawberry, or alpine strawberry, or european strawberry). In Poland, where I've lived and visit every summer, they grow wildly in huge groups in fields, along road sides, pretty much everywhere- and spread like wildfire. I was wondering if it's even possible to try to grow them here(in Florida, zone 9), in pots or even in a shady spot. Does anyone know where I could even find someone who sells baby wild strawberries? What about really similar varieties, that would taste/smell similar, but live here with more ease?

Aida

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, We have wild strawberry growing here at the upper ranch. They grow wild here in the Sierra Nevada mountains. While I have never tried them in warmer
zones, I'm sure they would do well. The fruit, as you know, is smaller, the size a finger or thumb, but is very tasty. I think they would love the longer season. Do you have a source for them. The seeds are all over the fruit. I have not tried, but I would think they could be started by seed. Try, start them in a sunny window. The berry here must start from seed. Birds can't digest the seeds, If you have access to plants, that's faster.

I don't think you would have to put them in a shady spot, like the larger strawberry, they seem to love the sun.

One problem I thought of: If strawberry start to early, because of a warm climate, they can be subject to frost, but in Florida I wouldn't think so.

Return to “All Other Fruit”