Hieron

A couple blueberry damage questions

Hello All - My youngest daughter was kind enough to just exclaim about the three deer in my backyard, haha. A stick thrown in their direction was enough to send them over the fence, but not before one had chewed a branch off my potted Tophat blueberry bush (this'll be its 3rd spring I think?). Should I do anything about the roughly broken, green stub, or is it nbd?

While I'm at it, I've just remembered that my other potted blueberry seems to have suffered from drought this past summer and the top 1/2 - 2/3 of maybe four of the branches are clearly dead (I could post a pic but I'm pretty confident they're done). Should I just prune them off a bit below the "dead" line, or is there anything special I should do?

Thanks for any tips; I really appreciate it!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I would prune to above a node, just below the dead area. If these plants are still small, perhaps protect them with a covering of deer netting, chicken wire, or other protection. After the plants get taller, the deer shouldn't be a problem. But deer netting is inexpensive, lasts for several years, and will keep the deer off of your plants. It works also to thwart the birds, so gives double return on investment.

Hieron

Ok sounds good; thanks for the info! That's a good idea about the netting, I have a lot of deer here so I'll definitely pick some up!

Return to “All Other Fruit”