PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Best liquid fertilizer for Strawberries?

Hi,

I grow my strawberries exclusively in pots. I had a disaster last year with them. Finally got them in good pots with good soil and they have been rooted for several months now. Just the other day I saw a few putting out some flowers already. But the plants are still small and I thought it was too early so I plucked them off. Anyway, what is a good fertilizer for Straws. And when should I fertilize? Should I leave flower buds alone too?

applestar
Mod

In addition to compost and AACT, I use tomato-tone on my strawberries. You could make tomato-tone tea instead of side dressing -- thats what I've been doing with the indoor tomatoes this winter. You could also make AACT.

I have grey mold issues so I also spray them with milk solution.

I sometimes use the equivalent Dr. Earth product.

I apply compost when it's time to take off the winter mulch, then side dress with the fertilizer when they start to bud. AACT while fruits are still green and milk solution only when closer to harvesting.

imafan26
Mod

Strawberries like slightly acidic soil. You want to keep the strawberries from bearing the first year so keep picking off the berries and give a nitrogen rich fertilizer. If you are going organic , it means probably fish emulsion. I have used small amounts of vermi compost and vermi compost tea as well.

They like to be well drained but stay evenly moist. In the ground, I will work in some compost and vermicompost into the soil. No chicken manure, it is alkaline. Steer manure is also ok.

I grow them in hanging baskets and strawberry pots, and under my citrus tree. They like full sun in the cooler part of the year, but in summer I cover them with some loose grass mulch. They multiply under the mulch. and will produce more strawberries around September.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have soil sulfur and acidic plant fertilizer. Should I add a pinch?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

As a general rule......from spring re-growth to first flower production use a general fert...blood and bone....growmore etc. Once flowers start to form ..any high potash fert, like tom feed.
Do not use a high nitrogen fertiliser on straws while they are in production. It will promote growth over crop.

Tonio
Green Thumb

I used cottonseed meal- which is said to be acidic. Not sure that would be good for pot culture.

Applestar- Dr Earth equivalent- are you refering to the 3-3-3 liquid stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Earth-752-Solu ... B0047BIW1M

Return to “All Other Fruit”