DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Propagating Fig Cuttings

Here is my attempt at fig cuttings propagation.

Here are branches from my Desert King fig tree.
Next I removed this years growth and discarded the rest.
In this picture I cut the branches into about 1ft lengths.
In the bottom of this tote is some left over seed starting mix. 1 part sand, 1 part compost and 2 parts coconut fiber. I pushed all the cuttings into the mix. No rooting hormone.
The mix is a little wet so I will drill some holes tomorrow.

I have a waterbed heating pad I may set the tote on. Not sure it's needed, but I think it will help.

Eric

JasonFL

Wow, nice, I was actually looking up fig cutting and am jealous :)

Don't forget to post a pic of the gigantic rootball 8)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

WOW :!: New idea to me. I always do my hardwood cuttings individually and not in a mass planting. A new concept. Is this new to you or have you done this before? Very interested in your results. Could use that info for my MG propagation.

JasonFL

The mostly soil-less medium she is using should allow her to just shake the sticks apart when they have developed sufficient roots, very effective for selling/planting large amounts of plants.

I am about to purchase some perlite to test this myself, coconut tree out back is dropping coconuts so I'm good on coir.

I'm also interested if you've done this before dog?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

JasonFL wrote:The mostly soil-less medium she is using should allow her to just shake the sticks apart when they have developed sufficient roots, very effective for selling/planting large amounts of plants.

I am about to purchase some perlite to test this myself, coconut tree out back is dropping coconuts so I'm good on coir.

I'm also interested if you've done this before dog?
Jason,

The name is Eric. :lol: Dude, bud or ---hole. Not she, her. :wink:

This is new for me. I'm looking for the web site I was on a few days ago. The guy went through all the steps. After explaining each step in detail, he ended by saying forget everything I have said so far.

He left a bag of 8" fig cuttings in a black garbage bag outside.. Apparently he was busy and kind of forgot about them. The bag went through cold and warm spells. When he finally got back to them they had already rooted. Just a pile of sticks in a bag. No soil mix.

Eric

JasonFL

Sorry about that Eric

Sounds pretty hopeful though :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

JasonFL wrote:Sorry about that Eric

Sounds pretty hopeful though :D
It's OK. I've been called worse. :lol:

I'll post weekly updates.
Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Someone edited my previous post. :P :lol:

I finally found the site my crazy experiment idea came from.

About 2/3 down the page.
Now forget everything that I just taught you. You don't need to go to all that trouble.
These cuttings sat outside for 6 months, in a black trash bag, through 38F weather, 80+F weather, rain, etc. They got water-logged when the bucket filled with rain. They were not refrigerated, and had no moist paper in with them. In short, I did everything wrong, and yet they continued to root under these conditions. This is much easier.
https://figs4fun.com/basics.html

Eric

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I just repotted my Goji Tree and took a cutting. Will see how it goes. I may take a few more if I think people want them. But I wouldn't use any rooting hormone. I had success in Fall '11. I took 4 cuttings and just put them into the ground, but only 1 of them took. Come Spring '12 the plant took off. It is up to 4 foot right now. Gave it a little prune and will see what happens this year.

Return to “All Other Fruit”