ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Home Depot has Pineapples?

So today I was at Home Depot just kinda mulling around in the garden section and I walked by the house plants and they had baby pineapple plants! And each one had a pineapple on it! I didnt buy one but I might next time. I figured you guys would be interested. I have been trying for months to root one with no luck. These ones look like they are the pups.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I tried growing one too from a store bought fruit. It did root a little but I neglected it though. Decided I didn't wanna bother and grow something else. BUT, I may go check my home depot and see if they have these plants.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

They looked incredibly healthy too. I took some pics that I will post but they are just crappy cell pics.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've had pretty good success with getting the tops of ones from the market to take root and grow. My largest is now about 3 ft. tall and that big around but there is no sign of fruit on it. I also have several others of less size that were potted later. Even if it doesn't fruit, it is a fairly attractive plant similar to a Yucca with its long pointy leaves.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I am sure that the ones that they were selling were helped budd. They also looked like pups not tops so they would fruit faster anyway. They were only like 9 bucks to.

applestar
Mod

Gumbo -- 3ft pineapple is supposed to be about ready to fruit. Maybe you could try the bagging with a ripe apple or banana trick next month or so. I believe you want to induce before the temps start getting warm....

Standing by to take notes 8) :wink:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Gumbo -- 3ft pineapple is supposed to be about ready to fruit. Maybe you could try the bagging with a ripe apple or banana trick next month or so. I believe you want to induce before the temps start getting warm....

Standing by to take notes 8) :wink:
This is why I love this place. I was happy with the plant the way it is, but if I can get a nice pineapple out of it-----all the better. Thanks for the heads up. I just so happen to keep apples and bananas on hand. My wife and her co-workers love the banana/nut bread I make with the over-ripe bananas.

It has gotten cooler here the past couple days but warmer temps are on the way later in the week. I'll give it a shot.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I worked in the nursery at Lowe's and the pineapples were a great seller - especially to parents who came in with their children. I bought one once - the fruit never matured. I have also started tops from store bought pineapples. They never fruited but like Gumbo said I enjoyed the attractive plant it produced.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That is good to know that the fruit never ripened. I bet it is because the shock from moving triggers it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”