emiwri

Does anybody know about Goji Berries, AKA Wolfberries?

I'm trying out a new plant this year: a Wolfberrry bush, also known as Goji berries. Unfortunately the directions I got with it were rather vague and I'm not having much luck finding growing info on the internet.

Has anybody here grown goji berries before or know anything about growing them? Any help will be appreciated! :D

tiggs&oscar

Hello,

It's one of the latest "superfoods". I found these atricles quite interesting and there is a small bit of information re cultivation.

www.detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/goji.html

www.health-report.co.uk/goji_berry.html

TO

emiwri

Wow! Goji Berries are not only delicious, but nutritious too! 8)
Thanx, tiggs&oscar!

Does anybody know how to grow them? :?:

Geek

I did a search on the web and found several places that sell seeds or plants. They claim the plants are very easy to grow but I guess since they are selling them they would say that. One site said they are hardy to -15 F to 100+ F.

pixelphoto

https://www.timpanogosnursery.com/site/928760/page/416906

try there they can help.

biwa

I looked at those links and there seems to be a lot of hype about how healthy these berries are but no evidence supporting the claims. So what if they're high in Vitamin C? Everything I eat and drink is enriched with Vitamin C... At this point Vitamin C is more likely to make me sick from overdose than make me healthier.

I noticed that one of those sites said goji berries kill fungus, bacteria, and leukemia. If it can kill all those things then isn't it more of a poison than a food?

Do goji berries taste good?

pixelphoto

You are correct there is alot of hype about goji berries mainly from goji berry salesman LOL :)
its not just the fact that they are high in vitamin c its all the other claims.
it is a very nutritional dense food.

"I noticed that one of those sites said goji berries kill fungus, bacteria, and leukemia. If it can kill all those things then isn't it more of a poison than a food?"

I didnt see it worded exactly as able to KILL bacteria, fungus and leukemia. To kill these would be difficult to near impossible.
To PREVENT would be a better word. Prevent or Reduce or "lower the risk of"
And yes something can kill a disease and not be poisonous. Just as antioxidants can block or prevent other things from taking over cells and damaging them....this doesn't make antioxidants poisonous. There are other examples I could give as well as things that are good for the body resist, block, or prevent, other things from taking over. Kill seems to be a hard word.

I have drank it and it taste good.
I do have some doubts as to all the claims of what it can do however. I'm sure there is alot of marketing hype no doubt about that.
But I also believe that it does contain alot of beneficial qualities. Maybe more so than most foods that may have only one or two good qualities.

Contains 19 amino acids the building blocks of protein including all eight that are essential for life.

* Contains 21 trace minerals, including germanium, an anti-cancer trace mineral rarely found in foods.

* Contains more protein than whole wheat (13 percent).

* Contains a complete spectrum of antioxidant carotenoids, including beta-carotene (a better source than even carrots!) and zeaxanthin (protects the eyes). Goji berries are the richest source of carotenoids of all known foods.

* Contains Vitamin C at higher levels than even those found in oranges.

* Contains B-complex vitamins, necessary for converting food into energy.

* Contains Vitamin E (very rarely found in fruits, only in grains and seeds).

* Contains Beta-Sitosterol.

* Contains essential fatty acids, which are required for the body’s production of hormones and for the smooth functioning of the brain and nervous system.

* Contains Cyperone, a sesquiterpene that benefits the heart and blood pressure.

* Contains Solavetivone.

* Contains Physalin.

* Contains Betaine, which is used by the liver to produce choline.

lulu1107

I decided last spring that I HAD to have a Goji plant. They were quite expensive at many gardening catalog sites, but I found one at Jung's and ordered it. I had to re-order it because it arrived dead, but that was the last difficulty I ever had with it. It truly IS hardy, easy to care for, etc. I put mine in a large container on my front porch, watered it regularly and fertilized it regularly with just a weak solution of Miracle Grow (a freebie from someone). I have now taken three divisions from it and the original plant has been put in the ground and is doing well. It's supposed to get quite large. It bore flowers and a few berries the first season, which means it will probably be a great provider of berries from next year on. I highly recommend this plant, even though it is so incredibly easy to care for!

damethod

Any pics? :D

damethod

Oh...and if you want lots of info on the goji berry, go to www.wikipedia.com and type a search for "goji berry". I found the article very interesting. There are nutritional benefits AND safety issues with the consumption of this berry.

applestar
Mod

I'm going to go read all these links later, so this maybe redundant, but I recall wolf berries from a brief period of interest in Chinese herbal medicine a few years back. Like most ingredients in CHM, it exerts a strong influence on your metabolism and internal organs, and is highly beneficial when taken in appropriate amounts for conditions indicated, but opposite can be true when used in ignorance.

IMHO, I would say these berries are definitely NOT for making pies or juices to be consumed at will -- probably best to think more in terms of condiment: small amounts scattered in entrees and side dishes (I have a recipe for mixing whole dried berries into cooked rice -- very pretty), a pat of "jam" or "chutney", or tonic elixir made with syrup, alcohol tinctures taken by eyedropper measures, or dried berry infusions in tea. :wink:

Emiwri - sorry I have no experience growing it. Good luck.

Return to “All Other Fruit”