Greywolf

Meyer Lemon Trees ~ General discussion

Here I will share some photos, and info that I have gained while enjoying my new "Green Friend"

First- it is budding, now that it is indoors for the winter!

[img]https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh502/Dutch_J/01nov2012meyerlemonbud.jpg[/img]

It was a tree that I wondered if I could keep as a houseplant, I have a room that will become the "SOLARIUM" in my home. It's short wall faces south.

I'm planning new windows, and mirror tiling the walls and possibly the ceiling also. For the floor I guess a very light tile will do.

~I can do that, I have gained a lot of skills over time

As you can see, the blossoms are about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch wide. I find this plant fascinating.....
There are at least 200+ buds forming up just now

Anyway, last night I installed a flourescent fixture in the corner running vertically. About a four foot one. I want to move another one from my garage to the other corner of that end of the room. In the dead of winter I want light to shine on my citrus buddies.

I also have a triple light fixture that will hang above them all.

I grow these trees in six or so gallon (24 litre?) laundry buckets, so that they have enough root-room to achieve a height of at least six feet.

As you can see below, IT'S ALREADY THERE!

[img]https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh502/Dutch_J/25oct2012meyerlemon1.jpg[/img]

The above was a few days ago, while it was in the living room. It's final resting place is in a den next the LR which will be transformed into a wonderful place all year 'round...

The problem with it being in the living room was that the window behind it was solarised glass - it cuts the light-flow through it down dramatically

I didn't want that.

(pictures of the new location will follow eventually, please be patient with me)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

What a beautiful Lemon tree, congrats. :D

You are so Lucky to be able to grow one, I had no luck with them, but think I didn't have enough light. But are in a different place now. :)

My Daughter, does "not" have a green thumb, but she saw one and just loved it, darn thing grew like crazy and fruited for her. She was amazed!!
I think we all were, but then she moved and sadly it died.

I think your ideas should be very interesting. Keep posting, with your ideas, so interesting. :D

Greywolf

MIST, MIST, and MIST!

They will absorb more moisture from the leaves than through the soil - and you will see the benefits of it almost instantly

~It also drips down into the planter as it naturally should do, so then the watering becomes a different story

applestar
Mod

That looks great! Mine is still small especially since It was terribly infested with scale insects late last winter and lost almost all it's leaves despite all my efforts to eradicate them. It was with almost relief when the freezing weather was over and I was able to put it outside as early as was possible in hopes that the Garden Patrol will have better handle on the situation, and in fact the tree turned around once outside and grew well through the season. So far is looking very well back inside.

I mist mine too. It makes all the difference in the health level of the plants kept indoors during the winter.

Your plans for the "solarium" sounds terrific! I wish I had as good a location for my citruses. :mrgreen:

Greywolf

The tree has put out a branch that is coming from a point on it where the main stem was cut at the growers I got/ordered it from - as if the original main trunk has returned. I don't know if it's a tree that is hybrided by splicing a different variety into it. (Roses are like that)

The strange branch has shot up taller than all the other growth, causing me to wonder about docking it (or topping) so that it doesn't grow all out of proportion. But my curiousity has me abstaining from that just to see what it does.

The leaves are very large on that branch as well...

In the meantime, the buds on it have begun to open up all around, looking a lot like a cheerleaders POM-POMS in white, with yellow stamens and pistils in the centers

I have decided that no matter how much I have to cut them back, I will keep it indoors from now on even in summer. Earlier, when it was first brought inside, I also noted some bug infestation that was in the form of aphid-like eggs laid all around the tender young leaves at the ends of some of the branches. I used a brand of flea, tick, and LICE poison in a spray can that was safe for use directly on dogs on it - and it wiped the bugs completely out without damaging the tree :D

The leaves coming out on it now are interesting because they are a very light green and seem to be larger than the leaves grown outdoors during the summer. I can't account for that just yet, maybe it's the controlled temperature and misting combined with good light

*Summer temps in the Memphis area are oppressive, the heat is enough to drop a grown man, and the humidity is generally off the scale, as in Norfolk Virginia

From what I recall of southern california, even temperatures throughout the year were the rule - and this (moderate temperatures around 70 to 80 degrees) may be a key helpful thing

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I don't understand why they are misted because here (in southern california) where a LOT of citrus is produced they never get rained on or anything like misted. The growers don't even water them.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

morning dew? even relatively dry outdoors locales are quite moist when compared with inside during the winter.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Ok I will give you that. The dew though really is only in spring and fall and it evaporates within like 2 hours.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am gonna start misting mine more often and see what happens. I am also trying to decide whether I should bother trying to fight the leafminers or not.

applestar
Mod

Be careful greywolf. That shoot sounds like a root stock sucker.
Once it grows taller than the rest, it will steal all the nutrients via apical dominance.

Greywolf

Some pics (I've been having computer troubles)
[img]https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh502/Dutch_J/6nov2012lemonpom-pom.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh502/Dutch_J/6nov2012lemonoddnewbranch.jpg[/img]
To the left in the background you can see the "Vertically Hung" flourescent fixture
I sank a hook into the corner trim, and used a short length of swingset chain to mount it that way
*The power cord hangs from the bottom, and is plugged into a timer

Regarding the "WILD BRANCH":
I think it is going to have to be DOCKED SHORT, at the length of the other branches. I hate to do that - but you and I both know that a wild branch can ruin a whole tree. And I still wonder - is this a product of a GRAFT?

And is the original base tree re-growing from the point where it was originally cut?
Last edited by Greywolf on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 am, edited 7 times in total.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Same thing happened with my Lime tree. It had nice green growth at the tips but the leafminers ruined it. So I cut about half the branch/stem.

Greywolf

Once again - the stuff I used to "DE-BUG" my own was a flea/tick/lice spray. I just grabbed the first can of bug spray I had handy, and read the label real fast to see if it might be harmful to the tree.

Since it was safe to use directly on my Muttly, I figured it was worth a try.

"HOT SHOT" was the brand name, Raid or Black Flag likely have a similar product

Because these kinds of bugs use the branches of the plant as an interstate highway system, it is important to cover the branches and tree trunk in order to intercept the bugs as they attempt to travel around. They definitely try to put their eggs on the youngest leaves sprouting at the far tips of the branches, and cutting them off at the pass by covering their access route is imperative - lest they spread everywhere

Another note on the spray I used is that the label clearly states that it: "Kills the eggs", and yes it sure did!

Return to “All Other Fruit”