ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Cutting Bare Root Trees Down When Planting

This fall/winter I am putting in another dwarf peach tree. I have heard a lot of places recommend cutting it down to knee high after you plant it. I didnt do this with my other tree and it is not very happy. Do you think I should cut the new one down when I plant it? Does it matter if there is no branches left it is just the roots and trunk?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ReptileAddiction wrote:This fall/winter I am putting in another dwarf peach tree. I have heard a lot of places recommend cutting it down to knee high after you plant it. I didnt do this with my other tree and it is not very happy. Do you think I should cut the new one down when I plant it? Does it matter if there is no branches left it is just the roots and trunk?
I usually cut the branches back 1/3 to 1/2 on a newly planted fruit tree. This helps with the balance from loss of roots from shipping. I also at this time decide on what form I'm shouting for. I grow most of my fruit tree vace / open center.

If you decide to cut to knee high, make sure there are buds above the graft. You will also most like be training to open center scaffold.

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Thanks I think I will cut it down so it has a few branches left. I actually am considering going with a standard size tree and just doing summer pruning for size control. I think the tallest I ever want it to be is 6-7 foot. I just don't have luck with dwarf trees.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If you have trouble finding a standard peach tree just plant a grafted tree so the graft is under ground. The scion should put out roots and negate the dwarfing affect.

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the tip! I want a grafted tree with a more vigorous rootstock. I have no problem finding standard trees though.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

I would suggest that if you want to grow your tree as a standard don't cut it down to knee hight.
That is the traditional way to create an open centre.....growing like an inverted umbrella.

To grow a standard the tip needs to be cut no more than a third back, just enough to encourage a strong centre trunk, also remove the strong base feathers that are growing as they will take the steam out of the growing tip.
Leaving just a few of the higher feathers to feed the tree as its roots settle in.

These base feathers are the ones that you would normaly leave to make the strong base branches on a centre leader tree but will not be required on a standard.
I would recommend too that you stake your tree well with a long stake so that you can keep the growing ' trunk ' as straight as possable and stop ' wind rock ' to the root system.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

How much new growth did the peach tree put on?

My Frost peach that I planted earl this year put on over 18". I cut off about 18" off each branch and the tree replaced it with about 3 to 1.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Fuit%20and%20Nut%20Orchard/FrostPeachOct202012002_zps152844e5.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Fuit%20and%20Nut%20Orchard/FrostPeachOct202012003_zps5aa23c2f.jpg[/img]

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

My current tree put on only about 5 inches :shock: I almost killed it in the beginning of the season because I put on an organic fungicide in the middle of the day and burned holes through every single leaf. I also wasnt watering it enough. Even if it does get to be as big as a dwarf tree should I still want another tree. Why do you say that I shouldnt cut it back to knee high? I do not think I am going to just because I do NOT want the canopy that low. I will probably cut off a lot of the top though.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

You keep saying dwarf tree. Are we really talking semi-dwarf? My Frost peach label, maturity height of 12ft to 15ft tall and 12ft to 15ft wide. I'm keeping mine to about 10ft tall with annual pruning. I switch to summer pruning on fruit trees about year 3.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Fuit%20and%20Nut%20Orchard/PeachTreeAugust2012004.jpg[/img]

Eric

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

SOrry this must be very confusing. My new peach will be a standard and I will keep it from anywhere from 8 feet to 10 feet. My current tree is a dwarf not semi just dwarf. It theoretically should be 6 feet but it is only slightly larger than when I bought it as a bare root.

Return to “All Other Fruit”