PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Advice needed for growing Strawberries

Hi,

Earlier this year I attempted to grow straws in a terra cotta pot. Hasn't been working out too well. I have a small bed about 3x3 that I am thinking about planting straws in. How many plants would you put in this area? Should I be adding some type of cover on the ground? I was reading how if the fruit touches the ground odds are pretty high that slugs/snails would get them or they would develop fruit rot. It kinda makes me not so confident now to even bother. Any tips/advice? Thanks

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Mulch!

lorax
Greener Thumb

Can you get small hay or straw bales? The absolute best strawberries I've ever grown were done in bales wrapped in black plastic, with holes cut out in the top for the plants. A 50 cm x 50 cm x 100 cm bale holds about 20 plants; the elevation of the bale keeps slugs and snails off (as well as other assorted chompie-creepies), they're much easier to harvest, and they seem to be extremely happy grown this way. There is a reason they're called strawberries, after all.

Other than that, MULCH MULCH MULCH. 3' x 3' is ideal for about 9 plants if you want to use the whole space for strawberries; since you're in CA I'd suggest looking for an everbearing variety so that you've got a harvest year-round.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What if I were to use a bag of potting soil and plant them right into it? I read online they say to give each plant a square foot or just about, but every time I read something or watch a video everyone has their straws crowded.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

The strawberry fields here do not give their plants 1 foot of space. The problem with everbearing is they don't multiply/ spread and the berries are smaller.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I got about 9-10 plants and some have a runner. So I may have like 12 plants overall. But the bed I have is a little smaller than 3x3 so I may only do like 6 plants there. And now I have to think about where I can plant solo strawberry plants all over the property. The crazy thing is I don't even think I have the room.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

You can try them anywhere I have some along the back fence that are doing well, but they haven't done well along the south fence line just hanging in there. The key is don't fertilize them the first year and I would probally plant 2 or 3 together in a row.
They were probably originally called strewberries, because of the way they toss out runners. If you have a lot of nitrogen in the soil it will produce lots and lots of baby plants. The first row was too fertile and 25 plants in one year became 872 plants. What a nightmare.
Everbearing will multiply if there is enough water and fertility. In fact from June bearing multiply much more slowly. It just depends on the variety.
They are shallow rooted so be sure you will remember to water them in hot weather, so in groups is probably much better. I know of an individual who was given 1 plant as a gift and planted it in a large pot in miracle grow and ended up with 17 plants by the next spring, go figure.

Return to “All Other Fruit”