simplycurious

Lemon buds?

[img]https://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/myusername22/2012-10-13161851_zpse7312556.jpg[/img]

Are the little flower-looking things the beginnings of baby lemons?
Thanks.

applestar
Mod

I'm seeing a tomato plant with beginning flower buds. :)

simplycurious

Tomato or lemon?
I thought this was a lemon tree...

lorax
Greener Thumb

Those are definitely tomatoes.

Lemon buds and flowers look like this:

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/DSCN5280_zpscf60b6a8.jpg[/img]

EDIT - This just ocurred to me: you might have a Lemon tomato plant, though.

simplycurious

You're being sarcastic, right? 'Cause, I don't think 'lemon tomato plants' exist yet. :wink:

applestar
Mod

Two lemon varieties that immediately spring to mind with "lemon" in the name are "Lemon Boy" and "Plum Lemon" :wink:

simplycurious

Dang.
I was hoping to grown a lemon tree.
I swear that was the seeding that I planted...would the seedling grow if I planted it in potting soil next time?

lorax
Greener Thumb

It all depends on how fresh the seed is. Honestly, though, it's much easier to grow citrus from grafted stock or cuttings (grafted stock is best - that way the plants have nice strong roots from the get-go.)

Seed-grown citrus is very rarely true to type, especially lemons - so you might plant one thing and end up with another. It's an interesting journey, but frustrating if you plant what you think is a Sorrento lemon and end up with some weird throwback with tiny, nearly impossibly tart fruits.

On the tomato side, the cultivar I had in mind was Lemon Cherry, but your photo doesn't show enough flower buds for me to be confident that it's what you've got. Since it's a mystery tomato, you really won't know until the fruits actually start to ripen. However, since it's a potato-leaf type it's more likely to be a slicing tomato than a cherry, which means you're in for a bit of a wait.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Ya that is definitely not a lemon. Citrus really arent grown from seed. Since it would have to be a full size plant to grow from seed it will take a very very long time before fruit. Go to a nursery and save yourself 10 years for 15 bucks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree, definitely a tomato plant. If what you planted was a lemon seed, the tomato seed might have been in the soil, especially if you planted with compost. Everywhere I use my homemade compost, I get volunteer tomato plants popping up.

And yes, if you did start a lemon tree from a seed, it could take any where up to 10 years before it would be a mature tree producing lemons.

Return to “All Other Fruit”