Briteyez83
Newly Registered

New gardener;Needs help with raspberries and blueberries

I am a first time gardener and this last spring we put in 3 Raspberries and 3 Blueberries. I'm not sure what should be done to winterize them or when I should do it. I live in Northern Washington.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What are the varieties?
https://gardening.wsu.edu/column/07-28-02.htm

My Summit raspberries are still producing. Probably wait until first frost to prune.

Eric

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I trim mine down to about 15 inches and mulch good with grass clippings and some manure. they do real well every year.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Where in northern Washington, the meritime west side of the cascades or the east side. If the west then just mulch the raspberries and let them go until Spring if you haven't already pruned the crowns. If you did take the old canes out after they died back then you are ready for spring. They are new so don't fertilize them (put something like manure on them this fall.) If they are day neutral raspberries than again you should only have taken out those than died back this summer. The other canes will bear again this summer. If you want to mow that type down in the fall wait until the crowns are a year older before you start. If you are on the eastern side than mulch, mulch, mulch them very heavily as they are new crowns.
The Blues should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to mulch them with pine needles, saw dust etc. In the future it is best to mulch these in the early spring to keep disease down. The Oregon extention site has great articles about blues that you can read. Instead of buying them, push read. They are excellent as this in berry country. They should also have good articles on caneberries (rasps. are caneberries as are blackberries).

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Where in northern Washington, the meritime west side of the cascades or the east side. If the west then just mulch the raspberries and let them go until Spring if you haven't already pruned the crowns. If you did take the old canes out after they died back then you are ready for spring. They are new so don't fertilize them (put something like manure on them this fall.) If they are day neutral raspberries than again you should only have taken out those than died back this summer. The other canes will bear again this summer. If you want to mow that type down in the fall wait until the crowns are a year older before you start. If you are on the eastern side than mulch, mulch, mulch them very heavily as they are new crowns.
The Blues should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to mulch them with pine needles, saw dust etc. In the future it is best to mulch these in the early spring to keep disease down. The Oregon extention site has great articles about blues that you can read. Instead of buying them, push read. They are excellent as this in berry country. They should also have good articles on caneberries (rasps. are caneberries as are blackberries).

Return to “All Other Fruit”