ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Rooting Blueberry Cuttings

Hello, so I have some blueberry bushes that I want to propagate by cutting. I have tried it before never with any luck. Can you please give me step by step instructions? And an amazon link to good rooting hormone? I was also wondering how many year will it be from cutting to fruit? Thanks!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Blues can be very tricky. Generally you need to do it in the spring when the plants just come out of dormancy. Cut off a section of healthy plant about 6-8" long with at least 2 sets of leaves. Take off the bottom 2 sets of leaves. Some would say cut up along the twig shallowly for 2 inches. Dip in rooting compound and plant in sterile potting mix. Water in Cover the tray with a large plastic bag and seal. Place under growlights for at least 2 weeks before opening the bag. Then water as needed. Let it grow until it is healthy enough to transplant. To fruiting without lots of fertilizing solution and years of experience at least 4 generally. Unless you are starting a rare type you might want to buy some on sale in the spring, just a thought

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Blues can be very tricky. Generally you need to do it in the spring when the plants just come out of dormancy. Cut off a section of healthy plant about 6-8" long with at least 2 sets of leaves. Take off the bottom 2 sets of leaves. Some would say cut up along the twig shallowly for 2 inches. Dip in rooting compound and plant in sterile potting mix. Water in Cover the tray with a large plastic bag and seal. Place under growlights for at least 2 weeks before opening the bag. Then water as needed. Let it grow until it is healthy enough to transplant. To fruiting without lots of fertilizing solution and years of experience at least 4 generally. Unless you are starting a rare type you might want to buy some on sale in the spring, just a thought

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I think I will just buy some bareroot when I go and buy all my new fruit trees.

applestar
Mod

I have been ground-layering my blueberries. You need to have a healthy plant to start with, and it takes a year before you can separate the new plants from the mother plant.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

It seems like to much effort I would rather pay 5 bucks per nice big plant. Everywhere I have seen recommends 2 different varieties. Is this really necessary? The reason is always to extent the harvest but that is NOT what I want to do. I want more berries when I harvest to at least have some to share with my family instead of just me. What do you think about planting some strawberries around them? Thanks.

applestar
Mod

If that's what you want, get two varieties that fruit in the same season (early, mid, late). They are supposed to fruit more heavily when cross pollinated.

I think blueberries and strawberries can be raised in the same bed if you keep soil pH to higher end of the ideal range for the blues. Only ? I have is in terms of practical use -- that the strawberries may get stepped on when you are harvesting the blueberries.... But I would say try and see. You can always move the strawberries if this doen't work out.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have a few stepping stones right no but I will put in more. I don't want to go crazy with them because then I will step on them but just a medium size amount to dress up the mulch. What do you think would be a good ph for blues and strawberries? Do you think I should go with june bearing or everbearing? I want something with big berries. I heard that everbearing berries don't have runners or spread. I want them to spread so I can only pull out the older plants instead of replacing all of them. If it doesnt work I will get some of these and put them in here because I have always wanted to try this.

https://parkseed.com/whopper-strawberry-plants-25-2-growin-bags/p/42009/

They no longer carry just the bags apparently but here is a kit with them.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

A minimum of two varieties are recommened because they simply bear better that way. The crops are heavier and more reliable. You are in S Cal so you don't have to worry about bees not flying as much so you can buy just about anything they are selling down there. Just ask if you want them to both be early, mid or late.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

To be honest I have NEVER seen a single bee on my bush. I am out there all the time and get great fruit set.

Return to “All Other Fruit”