Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Fruit trees $75, $30, $15

Fruit trees in Arizona at Lowes, Home Depot and nursery are $75 each.

Fruit trees in Tennessee at Lowes and Home Depot are $30 each.

Fruit trees in Mc Minville TN Nursery where trees are grown are $15 each in pots.

I want a pear, apple, peach, pecan and cherry tree in Arizona. I hate to pay $375 in AZ for something I can buy for $75 in TN. I am renting a U Haul box trailer rental is $14 per day returned or $278 one way to Arizona to haul my stuff.

If I buy the trees in TN trailer rental is basically free the money I save on 5 trees pays for the trailer rental one way. Now I am wonder if I can get 7 more trees in the trailer that will pay for my gasoline and motels the drive to Arizona will be free.

Idea #2. I got to thinking a little more about this. 5x8 trailer rental is $14 per day returned. Trees are $15 each in 3 gallon pots. Empty trailer will hold 40 trees sale price $3000. Trees cost $600. Gasoline required to drive 1670 miles is 60 gallons in my Honda CRV at $3.50 per gallon that is $210 one way. Motels for 3 nites Travelcity online $50 each. If a person wanted to do this as a business total cost, trailer rental $84, Motels $300, Gas $420, trees $600, total cost $1404. That is a profit of $1596. for 6 days of driving. There are flea markets every where in AZ booth rental is $20. Sell the trees a little cheaper than Lowes and Home Depot $60, rent a larger 5x10 trailer, profit is $1600. for a weeks work. I am not planning to do this but I just had this idea and thought somone else might be interested.

The nursery told me they have trees that are 2 trees grafted together so 1 tree is self pollenating 2 trees are not rquired to grow fruit. I like this my yard is not large enough for 2 trees each. Growing season is year round my mother grew a pecan tree 25 ft tall in 3 years and it produced 2 bushel baskets of pecans the 3rd year.

applestar
Mod

There's one problem -- AZ is a state often inevitably listed along with California as "not able to ship to..." by online fruit tree sources. I think there's a regulation and that accounts for the higher cost -- limited supply and possibly extra certification cost.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:There's one problem -- AZ is a state often inevitably listed along with California as "not able to ship to..." by online fruit tree sources. I think there's a regulation and that accounts for the higher cost -- limited supply and possibly extra certification cost.
Border guard to keep out fruit, plants, trees, etc. was closed about 10 years ago. They no longer stop people from bringing those things to Arizona.

applestar
Mod

Huh. Then why do they still not ship to Arizona?
(truly confused... And curious) :?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

If you wanted them for yourself get them shipped to yourself. There are fruit tree growers in AZ that can ship within AZ.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

They use to search vehicles at the boarder if you had any fruit, vegatables, plants, boarder guard would take them away from you but they closed all the board guards years ago.

I don't know about mail order? I sell plants and seeds on ebay some times even cactus. I mail it in flat rate boxes and never worry about what state I send it too. No one out west wants to buy cactus. I have winter hardy cactus it sells good up north and the east coast. In the spring I buy seeds at farmers Co-op in large quantities to plant my garden seeds are so cheap there. There are lots of people that don't like paying $2 for one of those tiny seed packs at Wal Mart. I can buy a whole pound of seeds for $2 to $6 depending on what seed it is. I harvest a lot of seeds from my garden Okra is easy I have 2 gallons of okra seeds now, 1 gallon of moon flower seeds, and many others. After I plant my garden I put all the left over seeds in a flat rate box and sell it on ebay. I know I am doing someone a favor by not having to buy $50 worth of seed packs at Wal Mart. One box about 15 lbs of seeds enough to plant a 1/2 acre garden for $10 plus postage. In the spring 1 time every year.

They don't sell seeds in small quantity at farmers co-op 1 lbs of Blue Lake Bush beans is $3.50. I plant several rows of beans then sell the remaining 1/2 lb of beans. 1/2 lb of beans in tiny seed packs would cost $70.

soil
Greener Thumb

Learn to graft I did 63 trees for 115$, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, and more. Rootstock is about 2-3$ each.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

@ Soil
Where do you get dwarf rootstock? I know how to graft just cant find dwarf rootstock.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Soil, Are you doing Republican math. Your numbers don't seem to add up. :lol:

Here is one choice for rootstock purchasing.
https://www.raintreenursery.com/Rootstocks/

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Republican math?? What? Liberal arts math to me! ha

I have a solution, don't by lowes or HD fruit trees. I've never had much luck.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have never bought tress from there because whenever I was in there the trees are obviously unhealthy. And they are charging like 30 bucks for s a seedling when I can go to the nursery and 2 couple year old trees much healthier for that.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Sorry for bumping this. I was reading the thread and didn't notice the date. Now I can't find a way to delete it.

So...move along, There's nothing to see here.

Free Zucchini

I enjoyed it. No apology necessary. :()

MichaelC

I think Gary350 is still an active member. What did you end up doing, Gary?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I don't think price is as much of an issue as is the size & health of the trees. Whenever we're looking for a tree, we do a LOT of cruising around to compare size/health/price. You go with what looks best healthwise in the best size for your at the best price. Yes, it can take a day or two of driving around to different garden centers/nurseries, but it does work out in the end.

Return to “All Other Fruit”