KateyKat
Newly Registered

Help? - avocado seedling plants

I have two sapling avocados that just started growing this summer. They're both about a foot tall now, and one in the same pot as my (smaller) pepper plants. I'd tossed the seed into the soil on whim and was stunned when it took root and started sprouting. The other was an experiment, suspended over a vase of water and just kept there instead of re-potting. Both are in the exact same spot in front of the biggest window in the house, and my mom and I are careful to shut the window when it's too chilly outside.

Anyway, the problem is that the soil-grown plant's leaves are curling up and starting to brown along the veins. The other avocado plant that I'm water-growing is fine, and it's in the exact same spot as the soil-grown, so it isn't a light or cold issue. I've never grown avocados before. What am I doing wrong?

applestar
Mod

This happens very frequently to avocados with onset of fall/winter.
Partly, it's normal for avocados to yellow and lose leaves.

But usually, the problem is either lower humidity due to heated rooms or salt build up in the soil. It's also critical NOT to let the soil grown avocado sit in water for any length of time -- which seems strange given the other one is growing in water, but water roots and soil roots are different. Soil roots need to breath, and avocado is prone to root rot.

Water thoroughly then let the surface of the soil dry out before watering again. One way to combine the humidity issue and not letting the pot sit in excess water that drained into the saucer is to put either rocks or a second smaller saucer upside down in the saucer to raise the pot above drained water, which will evaporate to raise humidity.

To correct the salt buid up, put the avocado container in the bathtub or shower and give it a nice shower, letting the water drain out to flush the soil. You can do this in the kitchen or utility sink if the faucet has a spray attachment.

I bring my avocados inside after full summer outdoors, and especialy in the beginning while they are acclimating to the lower light and humidity, I mist thoroughly every morning to simulate morning dew. I also water with de-chlorinated water.

HonoluluGirl

How long will it take an avocado plant grown from seed to bear fruit?

applestar
Mod

I've read a ton of references and they range anywhere from 7 yrs to 15 yrs to never. I think a good portion of it will depend on location and whether grown in ground or in containers, size of containers and fertilization schedule, native climate that allows them to be kept outdoors all year vs. indoors in less than ideal conditions for 1/2 of the year, etc.

An option is to grow the seeds then use the seedlings as root stock to graft known varieties. I'm seriously thinking about trying this next year. Probably "Day" to start with and some others that are recommended for container growing.

Again, availability of different varieties is vastly different depending on where you live, especially since shipping long distances would be astronomical.

HonoluluGirl

Oh my, I don't want to wait that long. :o My father in law has an avocado tree in his back yard that produces yummy fruit. Is it possible to cut a branch and root it somehow? I heard of air layering. Will that work on avocado trees? I live in Hawaii.

applestar
Mod

How lucky for you that you have a scion source of known quality fruit!

My understanding so far is that avocado really needs the established and healthy root system of the root stock to push/break bud in the grafted scion.

KateyKat
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:This happens very frequently to avocados with onset of fall/winter.
Partly, it's normal for avocados to yellow and lose leaves.

But usually, the problem is either lower humidity due to heated rooms or salt build up in the soil. It's also critical NOT to let the soil grown avocado sit in water for any length of time -- which seems strange given the other one is growing in water, but water roots and soil roots are different. Soil roots need to breath, and avocado is prone to root rot.

Water thoroughly then let the surface of the soil dry out before watering again. One way to combine the humidity issue and not letting the pot sit in excess water that drained into the saucer is to put either rocks or a second smaller saucer upside down in the saucer to raise the pot above drained water, which will evaporate to raise humidity.

To correct the salt buid up, put the avocado container in the bathtub or shower and give it a nice shower, letting the water drain out to flush the soil. You can do this in the kitchen or utility sink if the faucet has a spray attachment.

I bring my avocados inside after full summer outdoors, and especialy in the beginning while they are acclimating to the lower light and humidity, I mist thoroughly every morning to simulate morning dew. I also water with de-chlorinated water.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely try these tips out. I really appreciate the speedy reply, too. I'll get right on it :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

HonoluluGirl wrote:Oh my, I don't want to wait that long. :o My father in law has an avocado tree in his back yard that produces yummy fruit. Is it possible to cut a branch and root it somehow? I heard of air layering. Will that work on avocado trees? I live in Hawaii.
Yeah. That's why I never plant my avocado seeds, even though it seems a shame to throw them out. Where I live, I would have to bring them in for the winter, and it's not really worth it to me to drag an avocado tree in and out for ten years, hoping it will produce some day...

applestar
Mod

I always wonder if there's an easy way to extract the oils from the seeds....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting... I always thought avocado oil came from the flesh of the avocado. After I read your post, I went looking. Apparently there is avocado seed oil. It is too bitter to cook with, but is good in cosmetics. That would be fine for me; I have been using refined avocado oil (I purchased) in my hand cream.

But reading about it, it sounds like I would need a press....

lorax
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I always wonder if there's an easy way to extract the oils from the seeds....
Do you have a cold press? That's the easiest and fastest way, and it's super easy to build one if you know a machinist or can find the parts. The simplest ones are basically a pair of steel plates and four c-clamps to apply pressure; you skin a half the pit, then place those bits on the plate and start clamping.

However, the best avocado oils aren't extracted from the seed - they're centrifuged out of the meat.

Return to “All Other Fruit”