rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks good! I can't imagine where you have room to put all the stuff you bring in for the winter, Applestar! Do you expect the top two to fruit next year (if all goes well)?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How much cold can they tolerate? That was the only reason I haven't bothered with them. But if they can be outdoors year round in Zone 9/10 then I will plant some.

applestar
Mod

In my [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160460#160460]Minimum Night time Temp thread[/url], pineapple USDA Zones is noted as
Pineapple 10b (35) ~ 11 (40)
And that they enter dormancy at below 60°F (in my notes that usually means 55°F-60°F)

Maybe they would make it with a little extra protection?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I live in zone 10 but surrounded by mountains so it will get down to 30 occasionally but I plan on using a mixture of mulch and plastic if they don't make it. I will report back!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

So I just went outside to check on it and there was mold on the leaves! I was shocked! Then I realized it has been in 90 degree weather with humiidty at about 100% because of the bag. I also checked the bottom and there were lots of more roots! Next time I will forgo the back completely and just keep it well watered and see how that one does. I will also let it dry out for a couple days so there is less chance of mold.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I have another pineapple top I am going out to plant now. I left it to dry first. I am going to compare results. I am also going to take of a lot more leaves. I can tell on the other one I didnt take enough off.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I twisted a top off a few days ago and let it dry. Now I put it in cactus mix and did not water. Am I ok?

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Did you pull the bottom leaves off till you stopped seeing roots? I would say that you should water it. I am currently conducting tests to see if different ways of doing ti give different results.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yes I also removed a bunch of bottom leaves. Only reason I did not water was cause I was unsure. When you do this with succulents you don't water. The upper leaves are dried/drying but the middle and bottom, as well as the core is still green.

baldwinshere
Newly Registered

Your all luck, your climate is well suited to growing pineapples.

PUNKROTTEN said is was to much hassle. but in the Uk we can grow pineapples and it is a lot of hassle.

The basics are the same, cut the top of and plant it on the soil but we have to create a large heated bed for them to sit on (Common name = Tar Pit) three foot deep out of manure and bark to create warm enough heat for root growth. Its tricky.

For further reading on british pineapple growing: https://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/pineapples/pineapples.htm

applestar
Mod

I love horticultural history -- thanks for posting that link. :D

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Yes we are lucky growing them is a breeze here!

Return to “All Other Fruit”