hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Sweet Cherry Tree - anyone ever seen this before

I'm in zone 8 and my fruit trees all bloom heavily in early spring. The only time they rebloom is that some will give out a secondary bloom if a late frost kills the first bloom. Actually I've only noticed that habit on pear trees.

Anyway as to my question. My sweet cherry tree just started blooming this week. It bloomed as usual in the early spring and produced a light crop of cherries. But blooming again in September. That seems like very strange behavior to me! This is not a full bloom, but quite a few blooms on multiple branches. Now it has me wondering if the tree will try to make some fruit before first frost in late November.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Hendi.
All fruit trees can produce secondary or late blossom at times.
Usually after a poor fruit set and a good growing season. The dormant fruit buds seem to decide to make up for lost time and some break pre-dormant period.
They can set fruit but it is usually far to late in the season to mature and more often than not results in very small fruits that don't have the time to ripen properly.
Over here we have had a terrible spring and the fruit crop in general is down 40-60%. Now with a sudden warm period we are seeing a lot of this secondary blossom appearing. We try to temove it as all it does is use the trees energy.

Return to “All Other Fruit”