mscratch

Grapes and Blackberries

Oh my, recently bought a house in the country and to my surprise discovered several older grapevines that had been continously mowed over for no telling how many years mixed in with blackerries which I assumed are tame ones. I have cleared out that area now of weeds etc. and was wondering if I should feed those grapes and with what? the vines are about 18" tall now and branching out. I have moved the blackberries away from the grapes and that was a chore! I have no idea as of yet what type grape they are. they were all confined to one area so I know they were being raised as a crop as I found rotted landscape timbers enclosing them.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't have much experience with grapes since I had a couple vines many years ago that flood waters from Hurricane Katrina killed in the second year and I never replaced them.

I'd suggest doing a soil test first to see just what nutrients your soil may be deficient in where grapes are concerned and go from there. If you don't already have one, see about placing an arbor or some other type trellising for the grapes to grow on. That will make it easier to trim when needed and train it for better production.

If you did get rid of all the blackberry plants I'd be very surprised. Those things are kind of hard to get rid of once established. You may find yourself digging them out for some time to come.

mscratch

oh yea, I will be digging and strangling blackberry shoots for a very long time lol but at least I now have a row of where I want them to be.

Return to “All Other Fruit”