Chuck Moss
Newly Registered

Loquat did not bear fruit this year

Our loquat, planted two and one-half years ago bore flowers and fruit in abundance and nothing this past spring and summer. Our winter was mild here in lower South Carolina and we have had regular rain.

Any ideas of what happened and/or what I might do about this?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Hi! I received your PM in response I made to the comments in your Introductory Post.

If you had no flowers on your loquat, then it couldn't produce fruit. I really can't say anything positive as to the "why" it happened.

Often, plants that grow lushly but lack flowers do so because they are getting too much nitrogen fertilizer. Even if you aren't fertilizing the plant directly, if it is growing in an area where you grow lawn that get's fertilized, then it would be getting too much nitrogen. Fertilizers are too high in nitrogen for your loquat.

To produce flowers, which subsequently become fruit, a plant needs fertilizer with a high middle number (N-P-K numbers on the package.) That's phosphorous and encourages the development of flowers and thus fruit. However, when the flowers are open, they have to be fertilized. I've noticed on my fruit trees and berry plants that if there is heavy or extended rain when the plants are in bloom, I see few if any bees to pollinate.

These are general instructions relating to any fruit producing plant. I haven't personally grown loquat, although I've eaten them and like them. There were some shrubs in the yard of one of the rental houses I lived in in southern California.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I will add, Some young fruit trees that are allowed to bear heavily early will be stressed. Even some mature fruit trees will go into a every other year if the fruit is not thinned.

Eric

Chuck Moss
Newly Registered

Thanks for your tips, guys. There was much fruit the first year. The tree is not near grass, but my wife's fertilizing the flowers around it may have had an effect. I will try with the phosphorous and see what happens.
Thanks again.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I was under the impression that loquats bloom sometime in winter...was this not the case when your plant fruited before? just curious.

Chuck Moss
Newly Registered

To Greener Thumb:

Ours bloomed in the spring and bore fruit probably in April or May, when it is in the 80's in southern South Carolina.

mijujupo
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Hi! I received your PM in response I made to the comments in your Introductory Post.

If you had no flowers on your loquat, then it couldn't produce fruit. I really can't say anything positive as to the "why" it happened.

Often, plants that grow lushly but lack flowers do so because they are getting too much nitrogen fertilizer. Even if you aren't fertilizing the plant directly, if it is growing in an area where you grow lawn that get's fertilized, then it would be getting too much nitrogen. Fertilizers are too high in nitrogen for your loquat.

To produce flowers, which subsequently become fruit, a plant needs fertilizer with a high middle number (N-P-K numbers on the package.) That's phosphorous and encourages the development of flowers and thus fruit. However, when the flowers are open, they have to be fertilized. I've noticed on my fruit trees and berry plants that if there is heavy or extended rain when the plants are in bloom, I see few if any bees to pollinate.

These are general instructions relating to any fruit producing plant. I haven't personally grown loquat, although I've eaten them and like them. There were some shrubs in the yard of one of the rental houses I lived in in southern California.

WOW! The information make me understand. You helped me so much. Thanks for sharing this. It made me understand something, and it is that I never knew before.

Return to “All Other Fruit”