georgepalmer
Newly Registered

Berries

https://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/georgepalmer/?action=view&current=cb9dce0e.jpg

Can someone tell me the actual name of this type or berry I have growing in my backyard.

Also is it safe to eat? Any help is appreciated.
Attached a picture.
Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't show much of what the leaves or plant look like. I'm thinking it might be tomatillo

[img]https://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/tomatillos.jpg[/img]

If so, they are closely related to tomatoes and are edible, usually cooked.

georgepalmer
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:You didn't show much of what the leaves or plant look like. I'm thinking it might be tomatillo

[img]https://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/tomatillos.jpg[/img]

If so, they are closely related to tomatoes and are edible, usually cooked.

Rainbowgardner,
Thanks for the reply. I believe you are right because the leaves in your picture seems similar. Most of my leaves were dry but attaching a picture which has some leaves for you and me to be sure.

I remember my mother (deceased) used to make jam from them.

Thanks again,
George
https://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/georgepalmer/?action=view&current=9a1c3d61.jpg

applestar
Mod

Ah. If they were used to make jams, then they are probably Ground Cherries. Same family as tomatillos and similar looking but the fruits are smaller -- around marble size or somewhat bigger.

I've been growing the variety called "Cossack Pineapple" Ground Cherry for past couple of years. Another variety I've seen in catalogues is "Aunt Molly's". I'm sure there are unnamed ones too -- ground cherries are mentioned in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books.

You want to be sure though, because there is a wild one growing in my garden that I don't dare try to eat because some Solanacea plants are toxic. This one holds onto all the husks, even into frost -- at which point, the husks turn orange. The papery husk eventually decompose, leaving the lacy veins and looking like delicate fairy lanterns on the dried stems. There is an oriental ornamental variety with larger, showier orange husks that are called "Goblin Lanterns."

My ground cherry has been maturing the husks since about three weeks ago. One by one, they turn from green to parchment dry and drop to the ground. I collect them daily, gathering from under the plants and also ones that readily come off the plants, then spread them out to dry and ripen in their husks in a shallow cake box. When the berries feel soft -- I.e. "give" a little when lightly pinched through the husk, they are ready to eat -- Golden yellow, sweet and fruity. When I have extras of the ripe ones, I take them out of their husks and freeze them for later. I have yet to grow enough for making jam, but I like them in baked goods, scattered in salads, and used as accents in stir fries and other dishes.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've got a breeding project going on within that genus (Physalis), and there are quite a few different species - the one in the picture is definitely not a pruinosa (the standard annual groundcherry that aunt molly's and pineapple are supposed different varieties of [I've honestly never found much difference between those when grown side by side]), but that doesn't mean it's not one of the sweeter ones.

does look more like a tomatillo (same genus, different species, nowhere near as sweet and fruit/berrylike.)

regardless, most in the genus are edible at least when ripe, which in most means falling off the plant on its own. if nothing else, use the standard 'new food' technique: eat/taste a bit, if it's nice, swallow a bit and wait a while to make sure your body's cool with it. then increase amounts if it is.

it's fun breeding project, since I like all the members of the genus I've met, and am interested in just rolling the genetic dice...these plants are almost obligatory self-pollinaters, but most in the genus have the same number of chromosomes and cross-pollinate relatively readily if you do it by hand. it should be an interesting grow-out of the f1's next year. three different species, crossed all possible directions. might add tomatillos to the pool next year. I'd love to get something their size with sweeter/fruitier flavor.

/my $13.99...way more than 2 cents.

applestar
Mod

That's so cool potatoes! 8)

Now that both Op and you have got me thinking about it, I really should try to grow more of these. They should be easy to grow, but they act like trap crop for potato bugs or some other bugs and I lose a lot of seedlings and even older plants every year to these ugly grey/black blob nymphs if I'm not diligent about going around squishing them. :x

Keep us posted about your results. :D

georgepalmer
Newly Registered

!potatoes! wrote:I've got a breeding project going on within that genus (Physalis), and there are quite a few different species - the one in the picture is definitely not a pruinosa (the standard annual groundcherry that aunt molly's and pineapple are supposed different varieties of [I've honestly never found much difference between those when grown side by side]), but that doesn't mean it's not one of the sweeter ones.

does look more like a tomatillo (same genus, different species, nowhere near as sweet and fruit/berrylike.)

regardless, most in the genus are edible at least when ripe, which in most means falling off the plant on its own. if nothing else, use the standard 'new food' technique: eat/taste a bit, if it's nice, swallow a bit and wait a while to make sure your body's cool with it. then increase amounts if it is.

it's fun breeding project, since I like all the members of the genus I've met, and am interested in just rolling the genetic dice...these plants are almost obligatory self-pollinaters, but most in the genus have the same number of chromosomes and cross-pollinate relatively readily if you do it by hand. it should be an interesting grow-out of the f1's next year. three different species, crossed all possible directions. might add tomatillos to the pool next year. I'd love to get something their size with sweeter/fruitier flavor.

/my $13.99...way more than 2 cents.

Thanks for your input.

Return to “All Other Fruit”