PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When to transplant Fruit Trees in Southern California

Hi,

I have a few fruit trees I'd like to transplant. They are in pots now I would like to change their soil. When is the best time to do that? Some of them have fruit on them now so I am worried about disturbing them. Thx

applestar
Mod

Why do you feel the soil needs to be changed when they are happy enough to be fruiting?

I think in most cases, best time to transplant is when they are dormant. Worst time to transplant is when they are blooming or fruiting.

Are they pot bound? Are you increasing pot sizes?

Slipping them out and popping them into a larger container would disturb them somewhat less, but most of the time, you need to tease out the circling roots.

You might be better off topping with compost and/or watering with compost tea (AACT would be even better) This would introduce soil microorganisms to IMPROVE the soil. Mulching with UCG and popping a couple of earthworms in each pot is another way to improve the soil without transplanting and disturbing the plants.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

No the pot sizes I think are adequate for now. Well I got a lime tree that is growing fine and fruiting and its fruits are almost ready. My Lemon tree near it has been struggling all season. Both trees have different potting soil. I kind of used some crappy potting soil for my lemon tree. Earlier n the year the leaves were yellowing and tips burning. I started to add epsom salt, rock dust, lots of compost on top. It has helped a little bit. I also have been dosing liquid fish fertilizer every 2-3 weeks and just recently I fed both trees with compost tea. See, if my lemon tree was not improving I was gonna change out the soil because I believe that is what is causing all the problems. But just recently I have noticed the tree putting out a few flowers and actually has a few fruits on it. Before all it did was drop its fruits and blossoms. So maybe with all the compost and compost tea plus other fertilizer the soil has improved.

To be honest I am questioning whether to change the soil now. I am really just waiting to see what happens. If the tree drops these fruits I am thinking I should change the soil. What do you think?

Return to “All Other Fruit”