L04
Newly Registered

Fruit Tree and Animals

I have a few fruit trees in my backyard. This year, the squirrels and raccoons managed to take all of the cherries from the trees before they were ripe. Fortunately, the raccoons didn't break the tree's limbs like last year!
The plum tree is now starting to bear fruit and I'm concerned about how to protect it. Netting might be a bit expensive and difficult due to it's location.

Thanks for your advice!

applestar
Mod

Oh I don't have any good advice but wanted to wish you good luck.

In my case, I was just happy that the squirrels and chipmunks were so pre-occupied with the standard size European plum tree (which I'm sometimes just not up to getting on a ladde and harvesting/processing the fruits. And this year was one of thse times.) They love both the fruits and cracking open the pits and eating the seeds.

The plums kept them busy so that they didn't find the very young espalier cherry tree which only gave us maybe a dozen cherries (I think some birds did get a few) or the young dwarf peach tree which gave us about two dozen fruits this year.

They also didn't find the summer apple espalier, but the fall apple espalier is looking terrific right now with huge fruits and my other full grown dwarf apple tree is laden with fruits, and I'll be in the same situation as you to protect them from squirrels, chipmunks, and groundHOG!

So, good luck!

L04
Newly Registered

Haha, I wish you luck too!

I've been reading about some repellents. Squirrels and raccoons seem to really dislike pepper, cinnamon and mint.

Come to think of it, I used to have a problem with squirrels eating strawberries out of the garden. After I moved a mint bush over there, I've seen maturing strawberries.

Return to “All Other Fruit”