caroline

SOUR BLUEBERRIES!!!

Just wondering if anyone knows why my blueberries are so sour this year......??

I have had the bush for at least 3 years now. The first fruits were not particularly abundant, but were sweet and juicy and of a good size. Last year however, the bush suffered from scale insect, which got too much of a hold, so I had to spray with a bug killer.
This year, the plant is absolutely chock-full of blueberries, but they are all quite small and taste extremely sour - even the very dark ones :shock:

I just don't know what's made them change size and flavour so much....?! Could it have been the bug spray from last year?? (unlikely?), or is there something I could have done at some point to thin-out, or something else, which I could try next year?

If anyone has any blueberry bush tips, I'd be most glad to hear them! :)

(The bush is about 60 x 60 cm, maybe a little bigger, and is in a large pot, South facing).

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi caroline,
I would hazard a guess that your bush is way over cropping.
Like all fruit trees there is a limit to how much fruit can be carried and still give good quality and flavour.
As usual if a fruit tree/bush has a dud crop for any reason the odds are that the following year it will carry a very heavy crop. When that happens you have to be quite severe with the thinning down of those fruits. Otherwise you not only risk a very poor return crop ( or in the case of apples a risk of throwing the tree into a bi-annual cropping) bu also the quality of the fruit will be badly affected.
I can only suggest that you give your bush a very good feed now so that it has the best help in producing a good show of fruit bud ready for next year....and if it sets well in the spring thin the fruit out to give the bush a chance.

caroline

Dear 'Jona878'

Thanks for your advice and suggestions. Have to say, I'm not that green-fingered, but I thought it looked a bit 'over-berried'!!! I will thin it out a little for now and give it a good feed / rainwater. Then follow your advice for thinning it out for next year too.

Thanks again!!! :D

Return to “All Other Fruit”